Co-proxamol

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can somebody help !  I have been taking co-prox for a number of years except for a period when I was tried on other painkillers to replace co-prox. The other painkillers were unsuitable for one reason or another but after a chat to my GP I was prescribed co-prox again. Great news you might think however it is was not to last as one of the GP's in my practice decided he could not condone my prescription( I have never consulted or seen this doctor ever) and so as a group the GP's have withdrawn it and no amount of pleading on my behalf has done any good. So the object of my discussion is to ask for advice from somebody out there on how to get Co-proxamol prescribed again as nothing else works.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm afraid it was probably the Senior GP in your practice who initiated this block on the others. It is, basically, a question of 1) ignorance because they have believed the medical papers which have said that Coproxamol is a dangerous drug (which is quite true if abused & there is no antidote for overdose recovery) & is NO better than Paracetamol, which NOT true ! & 2) Initially PCTs & now CCGs blocked prescriptions on the NHS because the price rocketed when the demand dropped dramatically after withdrawal of the licence & 3) IF a GP prescribes with a PRIVATE prescription, they are legally responsible IF the case goes to court IF you've abused their trust & used them to commit suicide OR have sold them OR had them stolen from your house resulting in death & court case etc. etc. which is a threat to their job & medical career !!

.BUT the price has come down considerably now &, after considerable pressure & persuasion on MY GP, I now have a private prescription for c.56 tabs/month which costs me £4.90 at the chemist. Also, the GP CAN charge for the prescription but mine kndly doesn't. I take 1Coprox + 1Paracetamol tab 3 times a day & that gives me adequate analgesia, is kinder to my liver & only gives me the side effects of mild controllable constipation, with the added bonus of mild euphoria which isn't to be snuffed at in old age in this modern stressful life !!  Have a chat with the senior GP in your practice. They CAN prescribe Coprox. privately if they trust you to use them safely & sensibly AND they are medically safe for you. Good luck !

• Posted

Elaine, I'm afraid it's bad news ! Since dextropropoxyphene became difficult to source because so many countries were banning manufacture, the price has recently ROCKETED ! The NHS is presently paying pharmacies c. £100.00p /100 tabs prescription, for customers like myself with a private prescription it is a little less ! I can't see this situation continuing for much longer as the inevitable drop in demand will make it unprofitable for the rogues !!! SO sorry !
  • Posted

Elaine, I'm afraid it's bad news ! Since dextropropoxyphene became difficult to source because so many countries were banning manufacture, the price has recently ROCKETED ! The NHS is presently paying pharmacies c. £100.00p /100 tabs prescription, for customers like myself with a private prescription it is a little less ! I can't see this situation continuing for much longer as the inevitable drop in demand will make it unprofitable for the rogues !!! SO sorry !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.