Co Proxamol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I injured my back while nursing in the NHS in 1975.I have a disc lesion and now also an Osteoporotic compression fracture of the spine. I took Co - Proxamol until last year when my GP could no longer prescribe under the named patient facility. I never became addicted, and nothing that has been prescribed to replace it actually works. I have a bottle of oral Morphine which my GP insisted that I should have. I do not wish to go down that route, and I am rarely without pain. 

I believe that it is due to price that the named patient was abandoned, as on one occasion the invoice from the drug company was inadvertently included with my prescription. It was over £300 for 100 tablets!

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ruth,

A few patients at the surgery where I work get Co-Proxamol by private prescription.Something you could consider if you really have to have some?

regards

Janet

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Janet,

Thank you for your reply. I did ask my GP about a private prescription, but he said that he couldn't do that either, something to do with his insurance. I am wondering how your surgery gets around that? I do have a small supply which I keep for special occasions, but they won't last for ever. 

Best regards

Ruth

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Ruth,

Well that's news to me! I am now retired but still help out occasionally. I will ask next time I'm in if they still do a private prescription for these,  I'm sure they do, because I do the prescriptions and no-one has told me not to do this! Maybe surgeries have different rules??

kind regards

Janet

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ruth,

My quest for answers regarding Co-proxamol began in June 2008 under a Labour administration and I have been astounded that no one in the NHS, DOH, or successive governments has ever challenged the outright misinformation MHRA have reiterated time & again concerning Co-proxamol. It's my firm belief that MHRA is guilty of ignoring patient safety and well-being purely for financial gain.

Remuneration and pension interests of the thirteen most senior managers at MHRA range from £105,000 to £210,000

It would be obvious to assume MHRA couldn’t afford to pay the exorbitant salaries from drugs which could only generate a low income.

This was certainly the case with Co-proxamol its financial contribution to MHRA would have declined to a total of just one hundred thousand pounds for the period 2005 and 2015!

I included my letter to 'House of Commons Health Committee' in a personal message to you yesterday. I hope you find the information helpful.

Jim

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ruth,

My quest for answers regarding Co-proxamol began in June 2008 under a Labour administration and I have been astounded that no one in the NHS, DOH, or successive governments has ever challenged the outright misinformation MHRA have reiterated time & again concerning Co-proxamol! It's my firm belief that MHRA is guilty of ignoring patient safety and well-being purely for financial gain.

Remuneration and pension interests of the thirteen most senior managers at MHRA range from £105,000 to £210,000

It would be obvious to assume MHRA couldn’t afford to pay the exorbitant salaries from drugs which could only generate a low income. This was certainly the case with Co-proxamol its financial contribution to MHRA would have declined to a total of just one hundred thousand pounds for the period 2005 and 2015!

I included a copy of my letter to ‘House of Commons Health Committee’, in a personal message to you yesterday, I hope you find the facts interesting and realise it is simply the MHRA who are responsible  for this horrendous situation!

Jim

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up