Co-proximal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been reading the discussions on Co-Proximal,I have also been taken of this drug 5months ago. Since then I have tried several other drugs but none of them work, some of the side affects are really bad,did not have any problems with Co-Proximal. I had been taking them for many years firstly for a back injury then for arthritis connected to Lupus. I am almost 82 yrs old and was hoplng to live a few more years with some good pain control.I like to be as active as possible, walking my dog and doing my housework but when I am in pain I can't find the energy to do anything. I think it is very unfair that they have taken away something that has been so much help to so many people. Say what they like it's nothing to do with people committing suicide,they hand out Valium like sweets so if they want to do that they could easily to it with them and a few gins. It's all to do with saving money, they don't care about our pain.

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Totally agree with you.  Up until 18 months ago I was walking without pain on one stick, then they took away my coproxamal. Now I am in a wheelchair, can barely walk two steps with two sticks and in pain nearly all the time except when I'm sitting down, sleeping is getting worse and my only choice now is a very scary operation to replace my hips once again and because of osteoporosis they will have to do a bone transplant as well in order for the hip replacements to be strong enough. Even the consultant says there is only a 50-50 chance of success.  The people who banned Coproxamol should be strung up for inhumanity

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I  am 73 and have just started taking CBD Oil which is made from the cannabis plant, but does not have the same effects as Cannabis. It has been proved to help pain and is beneficial in other ways. If you are interested, Google CBD oil, and there is a lot of information. I am using a low strength oil, manufactured in Holland by Love CBD. It is made from the leaves of the plant, but some others are made from the stems. It seemed to me , to be the most pure. Like you, I never had any side effects from Co - Proxamol over a forty year period. I have come to the conclusion, having  read the research done by someone on this forum, that price was the reason for banning this medication. It was comparatively cheap compared with some other drugs, and therefore no longer financially 

profitable for the drug firms. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I feel that I have been able to prove beyond any doubt that MHRA’s advice to government to ban Co-proxamol was in order to increase their income and NOT FOR DRUG SAFETY CONCERNS!

On 31st January 2005 CSM wrote a letter to GP’s (Reference: CEM/CMO/2005/2) stating “there is no robust evidence that efficacy of this combination product is superior to full strength paracetamol alone in either acute or chronic use.” This was proved to be an out-and-out lie!

Hanks Forbes report published during 1998 challenged this statement directly, stating Co-proxamol was very effective in ‘Palliative Care’.

If it was proved that it was effective for end of life pain, it would be an exceptionally effective drug for arthritic and severe pain! (Which it was)

The situation in India during 2013 corroborates beyond any doubt that the Hanks Forbes report was 100% correct on the efficacy of Co-proxamol!

India was the last country to ban Co- proxamol and its production during 2013. It wasn’t a surprise when this resulted in the collapse of their palliative care system and the decision was overturned very quickly!

Co-proxamol was the most effective analgesic in the UK for over 50 years prior to 2005! It has been available for import from India since February 2017 for an approximate cost of £5.00! If the drug was imported it would become the most effective, safest, and cheapest analgesic available for the NHS! 

WHY IS THE NHS CONTINUING TO PAY £49.50 for 100 tablets when they could have been imported from India since February 2017 for approximately £5.00?

I have been astounded that no one in the NHS, or DOH, has ever challenged the out-and-out lies MHRA have reiterated time & again concerning Co-proxamol since 2004!

As late as July 2017 the NHSCC were still quoting the original misinformation from MHRA and assuming the cost of Co-proxamol to the NHS remained at £49.50. The group must have been totally unaware that the drug had been available for import from India since February 2017 for less than £5.00 at the time their final decision was made during October 2017!

Co-proxamol by all CCGs

Why it matters: The licence for co-proxamol (paracetamol 325mg, dextropropoxyphene HCl 32.5mg) was withdrawn by the MHRA in 2005, due to a lack of evidence of additional benefit compared with full-dose paracetamol and concerns about toxicity in overdose. Although co-proxamol has been unlicensed since 2007, and the number of prescriptions has significantly dwindled since then, it is still available as an unlicensed product for those patients who have found it difficult to have a suitable alternative analgesic. However, the price for co-proxamol has increased significantly recently, with some suppliers charging £300 for 100 tablets. We estimate that the NHS will spend £9m a year on approximately 56 thousand prescriptions, compared with £10m in 2004 for 7.2 million prescriptions.

1)         This has left 7.44 million patients in the UK without the best pain relief!

2)         Has left the NHS eight million pounds worse off due to the astronomical price increases, plus the higher cost of the inferior alternate  medications, and the additional prescriptions GP's have had to issue to         counter the horrendous side effects patients have had to suffer!

3)         Guess what? According to my guestimate MHRA are EIGHT MILLION POUNDS BETTER OFF!

4)       The number of patients admitted for opioid poisoning have risen year on year since 2005, there were           4,891 admissions in 2005-06  reaching 12,254 in 2013, 7363 additional admissions no doubt costing           NHS many more millions of pounds!

As MHRA increased the number of Marketing Authorisations for Oxycodone, Fentanyl, and Buprenorphine the death rates from these drugs have risen alarmingly! The only question DOH, and NHS, should be asking is: -

“WHY DID THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR HEALTH ALLOW THE MHRA TO CONTINUE ISSUING AN ADDITIONAL 298 MA’s FOR THESE KILLER DRUGS SINCE THE BAN ON CO-PROXAMOL WAS ANNOUNCED IN 2005?”

Is it any wonder the NHS is collapsing when successive ministers in the Department of Health refuse to challenge the lies and corruption within MHRA!

My petition launched on 27/12/2015; only 177 people had signed the petition by 01/10/2017. During October 2017 NHS Clinical Commissioners (NHSCC) and NHS England published a public consultation. Stating: - “Co-proxamol is no longer being routinely prescribed” This has resulted in 420 additional signatures appearing since this NHSCC announcement during October 2017! This appears to be the final clearance of the ‘Named Patient Facility!

Unfortunately my MP has the same mentality as all the previous ministers in the DOH who refuse to challenge MHRA’s disastrous decisions. Their inaction has left 1.75 million patients either ‘Chemically Coshed’ or suffering with relentless pain. (The majority since 1st January 2008)

I hope the 420 patients who have signed the petition since October 2017 will contact their MP with this information as I feel sure there must be a few who actually care about the NHS!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

if its available for £5 from India, isnt it possible for us to order it over the internet.  Since my doctor stopped prescribing me Co Proxamol I have gone quickly down hill from walking fine with one stick to now being unable to walk at all and in a wheelchair all day and still in pain. I've tried all the different painkillers from Codydramol which was useless down to what I'm on now which is buprenorphine patches and paracetamol which barely touches the surface of pain.  If they were available over the internet I would be ordering immediately.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Skippycat.

I'm still challenging the Department of Health, and NHS regarding the licencing of Co-proxamol. I'm waiting for responses  from the ICO and Ombudsman.

Severe circumstances in the Indian palliative care sector caused the Indian Governments  decision to be overturned very quickly and Dextropropoxyphene based products are now back in production at a very competitive price! 

This is part of my current correspondence with the DOH: -

Since the announcement of the ban (2005) MHRA have issued an additional 298 Marketing Authorisations for three of the far more dangerous opiates; Oxycodone, Fentanyl, and Buprenorphine increasing their gain to over eight million pounds up to 2015!

MHRA’s scare tactics were totally responsible for the worldwide ban on Dextropropoxyphene based products which eventually caused the manufacture and supply of the drug to be suspended.

Fortunately the severe circumstances the Indian palliative care sector found itself in caused this decision to be overturned very quickly and Dextropropoxyphene based products are now back in production at a very competitive price!

* Medindia Drugs Drug Price

Caybutyl (Dextropropoxyphene)                                              Double Strength 1 Tab Max 4 Daily

100 Tabs = 97 INR = 1.13092 GBP

Indian Rupee1 INR = 0.0116590 GBP

Price List Updated on                                                               February 02nd 2017

Combination of Generics - Dextropropoxyphene, Paracetamol

Trade Name      Caybutyl

Manufacturer     Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd.             Unit 650mg/65mg (1-4 Tablets) Daily

There may be hope for the Millions of patients who have been denied Co-proxamol for the past ten years!

MHRA have been totally responsible for the scandalous price increases for Co-proxamol (£49.50) when the product was finally removed from the NHS prescribing list.

There were 72000 patients on the ‘Named Patient’ list who had proved they could not tolerate any of the alternate analgesia and have been left to suffer horrendous side effects and lack of sufficient pain control since its complete removal from the NHS prescribing list!

Patients like me could be receiving good level pain control without any side effects with a prescription for Caybutyl at a cost to the NHS less than £2.00 per month!

For this reason the ‘Named Patient Facility’ should be reinstated immediately and the suitability for controlled status for general use, co-proxamol should be considered to be far safer than Tramadol, Oxycodone, Fentanyl, and Buprenorphine

The UK government showed an absolute disregard in respect of ‘DUE DILIGENCE’ When the ban was debated in parliament.

Ministers Directly Responsible For the Lack of Due Diligence

Patricia Hewitt 5 May 2005 – 27 June 2007

Alan Johnson Secretary of State for Health Jun 2007 - Jun 2009

Caroline Flint Minister for Public Health from 2005 to 2007

Dawn Primarolo Minister for Public Health 2007–2009

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up