Cold turkey off Omeprazole , please help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello

I am so scared. I took omeprazole 40mg a day for 5 years, and after hearing about the horrible risks, quit cold turkey. Its been 4 weeks and I am in physical and mental hell. Upper endoscopy last month showed mild reflux, no Barrets or cancer. I am naseous on and off all day, have terrible burning in my chest, no appetite, panic attacks, racing heart and stomache pain. I do take pepcid 20 mg twice a day just to get through the day, and while it helps it does not get rid of these symptoms. I also use small amounts of raw ginger for upset stomach and eat no junk food, fried food etc at all. No alcohol. The worst of these symptoms is sudden racing heart and terrible nausea. I take a multivitamin, iron supplement and magnesium supplement. I am afraid i will never be normal again, and my understanding is it takes two weeks for this rebound to pass, yet here I am four weeks out and nothing has improved. I welcome any advice and will try anything, thanks for listening.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was told by my doctor to do the same. From 30mg to nothing. It was horrible, but I did it for a year, and just constantly had Gaviscon, which cost me about a fiver a week, so, as you can imagine, I ate a lot. A whole year later, I went back to the doctor and I went back onto 30mg for a month, then I insisted the doctor reduce the dosage, which he didn't want to. I've been on 15mg for a month now, and my stomach is fine. I will reduce it again in a while, until my stomach accepts that I don't need them. I hope this is of some help to you.

• Posted

Multivitamin and iron tablet can make indigestion and reflux worse. I used to take a multivitamin and mineral tablets because I am on PPI tablets and found out they can stop you absorbing vitamins and I found out I was vit D and B12 deficient. I now just take vit D and vit B12 spray as even on nexium I get terrible indigestion from the multivitamin and mineral tablets. So it may be that which could be causing your problems. Maybe try taking the supplements every other day or stop taking them for a couple of weeks, get a vitamin and mineral test to see if you are deficient in anything and then if you are just take the vitamins/minerals you need. If you were deficient when you were on the PPIs that doesn't mean you would be now you have stopped because your body can absorb vitamins better when you aren't taking PPIs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.