Celiac's Disease - Could I have been misdiagnosed with GERD

Posted , 2 users are following.

So more than a year ago the doctors diagnosed me with GERD. I am writing this to inform everyone that my symptoms are not matching GERD. They match Celiac's disease. I cut out Gluten which is really easy. The headache's dissapeared. My morning sickness is getting better while the good bacteria builds up, i am not as depressed, anxious, and my nervous system seems to be returning to normal. Has anyone that has had stomach issues that are not being resolved tried a non-gluten diet? The cashier at the store and many people tell me this is a fad but I lost about 15 pounds in 1.5 weeks when my stomach would not accept food anymore and I had stomach aches and the runs constantly. My stool has returned to normal. The Franz non-gluten bread while a little spendy is amazing! It almost feels and tastes like cake. Loving it. There are people who have died from Celiac's. It is nothing to mess with. Changes in diet need to be made right away. Wheat must be taken from your diet immediately. I never really liked wheat or whole grain bread anywayssmile

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debra, this information is good to know as I have two friends with Celiacs. I will let them know. 

Can you please tell me what GERD is, I have never heard of it.

glad you have sorted yourself out, I wis a change of diet would help me with my back pain, it is excruciating at times. 

Keep up the good work 

• Posted

Hi Cathy,

Yes, the symptoms go away with a proper diet. Many people feel like they have to avoid a lot of foods but it isn't true. Its just wheat. Like beer with wheat and alcohol processed or filtered with wheat. Its a wonder I did not become sick when I ate sushi and drank rice milk sakesmile

GERD is Gastro Intestinal Reflux Disease. Its also a bacterial problem in the stomach that is not resolved easily. Doctors will put patients on a myriad of drugs including Protonix (which causes heart disease). Allthough this drug works great it is not a long term answer. Neither are the over the counter ant-acids. I spent hundreds of dollars trying to resolve GERD without any results. I woke up sick every morning and eventually I came across a posting on Celiac's disease after looking up IBS which didn't match my symptoms. 

Fortunately my mom is a RN and she helped me figure it out. Yes I could have gone in for testing and proof but my mother said that the tests are not adequate here in the U.S. Since I cannot fly to Europe I had to do some experimenting. 

Too bad it took several years of agony right? Clonazepam has helped me a lot too. I take up to 2 mg a day. It is a social stress reliever for anxiety. It also helps my shoulders relax. 

Unfortunately our stomach's are our second brain and I am fighting hard to get it back to normal. We only have one stomach and it would be a shame at such a young age for my stomach lining to dissapear. 

Thanks for the support! 

• Posted

Hi Debra, 

thanks for all that info, I will certainly pass this on to my friends. Don't know about the medication here in the UK. But I will pass it on. 

Thanks again 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.