PPIS exacerbating/causing IBS symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Every PPI I take seem to have exactly the same effect on my gut unless I'm taking the equivalent to 15 mg lansoprazole or 20mg pantoprazole which of course does nothing for my acid problems.

Nausea, bloating, loose stools, abdominal gas/pain, stomach cramps, fatigue, dizziness with some are the main ones.

What am I suppose to do? I have Hiatal hernia and moderate gastritis. so in theory I need to take them. I am prescribed 600 ranitidine but currently off the market in the UK due to cancer concerns. But even when I was on 900 ranitidine I don't remember it doing much for gastritis even though it helped with acid symptoms to an extent.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i have been taking 40mg of omeprazole for about 20 yrs and i still suffer from gastritus it flares up as it has at themoment constant abdominal pain and all the other syptoms thatyou describe ,i notice you included dizziness which i also suffer from but never have been able to find a reason for it ,have been to Dr,s but they do not know what is causing me to be dizzy ,i never linked it to omeprazole but am now wondering if that is what is causing it , ihate taking and am going to try to stop taking them

• Posted

I get bloating and mild IBS symptoms too, ask for alverine it helps a lot. The fatigue and dizziness could be due to vitamin deficiencies because ppis can stop you absorbing vitamins so well. I got tested and found out I was vitamin B12 and D deficient since I now take spray vitamins of these and I don't have dizziness anymore. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause all kinds of stomach problems too. Try taking vitamin B12 and D and see if you feel any better. They say the spray forms of vitamins are easier to absorb than tablet form if you are on PPIs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.