Constantly lightheaded for months, muscle pains and aches throughout back and neck, help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been lightheaded non-stop since mid-December. The feeling is not dizziness where things seem to move. My balance seems fine and the room isn't spinning, I just feel 'spaced out' all the time. Since around the end of January I have also had pain in my upper back, shoulders, neck, and often aching in my arms and legs. I often feel tired but I don't know if this is a symptom in itself or due to feeling spaced out and having these aches and pains all day. I have been to the doctors, but they have no idea. I have had 3 blood tests for various things such as thyroid, blood count and electrolytes and everything is fine there. I am only 18 years old and frankly desperate to find out what it is and fix it because it is consuming my life.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi oli92152

Ì had similar symptoms. My doc did various blood tests, the particular tests she did were all fine. The pain in my arms legs shoulders and back were getting worse so was the fatigue. I was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia which was the wrong diagnosis as my reply will go on to explain. One day I went into a chemist where I was advised to take a blood/glucose test and low and behold my glucose levels were sky high so much so I was not producing enough insulin to take glucose to my muscles for energy hence the dreadful pain i was experiencing in my arms legs etc.and the fatigue I I was eventually put on Metformin because I had Type 2 diabetes. All the pains and fatique went after approx 2 weeks and I felt so much better I had my life back..my doc was so apologetic for not doing the B/G test as treated me for over a year for fibromyalgia. I am not saying this is the case with you as you are young but it may be a possibility. Ask your doc for a blood/glucose test ..just in case.....best wishes...

• Posted

I have had 2 glucose tests which are both normal so that is ruled out. I am unsure whether it is fibromyalgia. I have looked into it quite a bit and it does sound similar but I am not in my opinion overly sensitive to pain as is one of the main symptoms. 
    • Posted

Ask your doctor about fibromyalgia.  It can be difficult to diagnose because the pain can vary from day to day.  I got sore joints, muscles and bones with fatigue after chiropractory and deep tissue massage. Despite a blood test nothing showed up. The test was done badly and I am still left in constant pain from that two years on in my arm along with the other pains.  The slightest exertion sets off symptoms.  This is an improvement though, because initially I had symptoms constantly for nine months.  I didn't get further investigations because I was too scared to go back after the mess up.  After the stress of it, I developed IBS as well which is linked to fibromyalgia.
    • Posted

I have started seeing a chiropractor to see if he can resolve my pain. Did this help you at all?
    • Posted

No, it made my pain worse and gave me exhaustion which I still have.
    • Posted

How would you describe your pain? After I went to the chiropractor part of my back has felt better since, though it seems like the pain moved to my shoulders and neck.
    • Posted

I developed neck pain that had not been there before, my original tailbone injury became constant rather than intermittent and it was as if someone had lit paraffin inside the base of my spine several hours after treatment.  I got numbness in my spine after this which radiated down my left side and then gnawing pain.  An old hip pain which had gone, then came back.  My spine has now lost its elasticity.

I was only told about mild pains; it was never mentioned that you could get more severe reactions.  He asked me if he could manipulate my neck without telling me about the risks.  I agreed because I thought he knew what he was doing. Later I read how dangerous neck manipulation can be.

I think probably, that painkillers/physiotherapy is in fact far safer and more effective.  These so called natural treatments such as chiropractory are unproven to work and can affect your body's defences,equilibrium and immune system. 

• Posted

I wasn't aware that neck manipulation was dangerous. If I visited my doctor to be referred for other treatment I'm afraid they would tell me to wait and see if it goes or put me on a long waiting list, which is why I chose chiropractory. 
    • Posted

Neck manipulation can affect the carotid artery.  I would check with your doctor first what he/she says about its success rate and safety.  In the meantime, use over the counter painkillers.
  • Posted

Did you have a mri or ct of your head? My husband was experiencing light-headedness and he had to have a ct of his head. When the results came back, they found it to be a chemical imbalance in the brain. He was feeling like he was high, but doesn't do any kind of drugs. Respond and let me know what happens. Now they saying he has anxiety disorder
    • Posted

No. I mentioned these to my doctor but he passed my lightheadedness off as being "a heightened sense of awareness", so he didn't put me in for any tests. I'm unsure whether I could just ask for one either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.