Covid 19 for 8 weeks? Gastric issues ? High heart rate? Short of breath ?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Almost 8 weeks I’ve been ill. It started with a bit of a tight chest, no cough, no temperature. A couple of days later and my chest started to feel raw and sore just assumed i had a virus ....probably covid. My chest started to burn constantly all day long the burning lasted 3.5 weeks. Then sharp pains felt like it was flipping from one side of my chest to the other, also felt like the burning went down to my tummy area. Shortness of breath begun day 7. Sometimes it was so bad I had to really concentrate on my breathing to catch my breath. Also my heart rate has been through the roof as soon as I move, walk a little it goes really high like I’m fast walking/jogging etc 145bpm feel dizzy. Week 2 started with the hot night sweats! Waking up like I’m on fire. Sweating awful Body odour-I don’t suffer with this normally. Still having the hot sweats week 7... every night. Also had facial flushing and have had a temp on and off for 6 weeks. headaches and body aches I was given antibiotics after 3 weeks Incase. I went to the hospital as the doctors said it couldn’t be covid as it was going on too long. I had a chest X-ray that was clear. Sent home. I wondered if the virus has caused some sort of gastric issues and that the burning is due to severe acid reflux. Something I’ve NEVER suffered from only when pregnant. I’m now on Omeprazole 40g for 2 weeks. The burning and pain in my back has eased. I’m now left with the some chest pains but the high heart rate upon walking around my house has not gone away nor has the acute breathlessness. Has anyone had high heart rate, severe gastric issues eg oesophagitus and shortness of breath , hot sweats with this illness? Can’t take much more of this. im 39 on no meds no heath condtions usually active mum of 4!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

you may or may not have had Covid, however there are other viruses going around now such as the flu B strain. The gastric issues could have been caused by anxiety about the virus. The main thing to do right now is take care of yourself the best you can. Stay hydrated. Maybe at this time don’t overdo the exercise because your body needs a chance to recover.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, yes its very possible ive had a different virus. Ive just never been this poorly before in my life. I spent a month in bed with this and only now can just walk around the house. My doctor mentioned anxiety and of course ive considered everything, but im not an anxious person and ive never had symptoms like this before.

• Edited

Ask your doctor for a d-dimer blood test to see if you need to get a CAT scan for pulmonary emboli. I had multiple PEs a couple of years ago and the symptoms you are describing sound almost identical to what I had apart from I did have a dry cough with mine, but not everyone gets that. Look up pulmonary embolism symptoms to see if they sound similar to what you have, doctors overlook these symptoms at the best of times, so they must be doing that now with what is going on now. I went to A&E twice had 2 chest X-rays which were clear and got sent home with bad symptoms being told it was indigestion, anxiety or costochondritis. I ended up having to get a CAT scan at a private hospital which is where I got diagnosed.

• Posted

Hi there, thank you so much for your reply. Im sorry I should have said on my post they did rule out a PE when i went into hospital as they did susoect that initially. They did the blood test and also a CT scan and xray of my lungs. Its so strange as ive been getting so much shortness of breath but my lungs have been clear on the scans. So wondered if anyone else had had clear scan/xray and still so short of breath this long.

• Edited

i have been suffering from the exact same chest symptoms apart from the breathlessness and slight sore throat on and off for the past 17 days glad to here someone with the same chest symptoms

• Posted

The pain is terrible isnt it. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

also i went to the hospital cause of chest pressure and they xrayed my chest and it was also clear so im very puzzled aswell lol

• Edited

Girls and guys I've got some good news and some bad news on the good news front got a phone call from my virtual hospital they check on me every two days basically going straight to the point because of the amount of people they have to ring told him I just couldn't shake off the sore throat but its a lot better now than three days ago still fatigue in the morning and little popping of the nose and dehydration is getting better he said you have turned the corner and they would not be ringing again any problems my gp that's the good news the bad news is that he said that they couldn't work this virus out but I wasn't positive for it

• Posted

Glad to hear your throat is feeling better. Hope you continue to improve and feel better too. This virus is certainly a puzzle!

• Edited

Your symptoms definately sound like corona to me. The acute shortness of breath ,night sweats, gastric issues (corona can cause gastric issues) with all the corona spreading like wild fire it is probably that. I was unsure about my symptoms for ages because I have underlying health issues but I dont have much doubt that I have it,even if I tested negative. apparently the virus is only really detectable in the nose and throat in the first week of symptoms. I still dont quite understand why there has been so little testing. Is it a financial issue? Because this virus causes havoc in the body once it starts corsing through but nobody is being tested so nobody knows who to help , who needs treatment , what treatment ... the situation is utterly bonkers. You have to need life support to get tested but alot of people are struggling so much trying not to get to that stage. They say you can only have corona if you have a continuous cough or fever but I think that happens only in the very beginning and then some dont get that at all. It can effect the body in many different ways also if you have underlying health conditions it will make those worse. Anyway I feel for you ,I have been there too when the breathing gets so bad you just have to lie down and really concentrate on it , it is so scary. and you just dont know what's coming next. Take it a day at a time and we will beat this thing. But you have to face each symptom and call 111 if it gets really bad. well done for going to the hospital to get checked out .Take care

• Posted

Thank you for your message. It is such a shame testing wasnt available early on. My first symptoms began on 13th march and testing was not available for the general public then. There is so much we dont know about this virus. I was told after 3 weeks that it cant be the virus but now we know for some the illness can last a very long time. I think it definitely effects people in different ways. What have been your symptoms? Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Do you have symptoms of viral myocarditis?

The heart has ACE-2 receptors and SARS-COV-2 can use heart cells to replicate and destroy the heart.

What's your blood type if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

Hi there, i have wondered if this virus has affected my heart. My heart has certainly been under extra pressure since being poorly. It has been beating faster at rest and whenever i move it goes much much faster than normal. What have been your symptoms? im blood group A+

• Edited

I do believe that you have covid-19. There are many unusual symptoms that are surfacing that are not on the "List". Gastric problems are proving to be more common than first thought. It is early days yet in regard to this virus, and the medical fraternity and in fact all of us are learning from something unique that we have had little experience with. To speak with any authority about this, and to pass judgement on someone who doesn't have atypical symptoms is in my opinion short sighted at this juncture. why then do I speak with such conviction as I have above? Because I have personally been through the same experience, had covid-19, had severe gastric reaction, weird and disconcerting symptoms that have persisted weeks later, such as numbness and tingling in both hands and feet. I have had multiple medical tests to check for other causes, all which came back clear. The conclusion I have come to is this virus is a wonderful yet tenacious invader, it searches its host through looking for potential weaknesses on multiple levels. And as we are all unique individuals with unique makeup all of us carrying different weaknesses, we are going to reveal a plethora of different symptoms depending on where and to what degree the virus has attacked. Some of these symptoms may be common, some may be unique. We can't deny a person has such symptoms or write it off as anxiety. We are all learning as we go along and the best way to learn is listen.

• Posted

Hi Lee, Thank you for your message. Sorry to hear youve been so poorly. How are you feeling now? I definitely agree with you that i believe this virus attacks our weakest parts. I had hyperemesis in my pregnancies and my stomach i think is my 'weakest link'! Im 10 weeks now and im still having this horrendous heartburn, high heartrate when walking around house, tight chest, shortness of breath and night sweats. What gastric issues did you have? i can barely eat anything and the omeprazole isnt helping.

• Edited

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear your still struggling so many weeks on. Especially when your symptoms are connected to the functionality of vital organs it can be very scary. You fear your having an heart attack or something else. I remember feeling numbness in my face and forehead, and I wondered if it was a stroke. Our bodies and their complex systems are all naturally finely balanced. However, the covid-19 attack on those vital systems leaves multiple complex damage. The result is the body is thrown out of balance, which may take many weeks, months to rebalance. For example, you mentioned gastric symptoms. One of the worst and first symptoms I had was intense abdominal pain followed by diarrhoea, including the loss of blood. The experience was so intense and painful I was reluctant to eat for days after in case I had another bout. However, I had strange symptoms about the same time, after doing some online research I concluded that the gastric had messed the balance in my gut. I took a strong dose of acidophilus, but my electrolytes was also messed up, so I purchased drinks specifically to restore these. Thankfully I had some assistance as I felt far too weak and ill to do anything at the time. I still get pains in my chest, and breathlessness, and tightness especially if I exert myself. How can you strengthen and rebalance your heart? When you say you can barely eat anything, is that loss of appetite? or, is it the effect once you've eaten? I guess if your on omeprazole then your getting acid reflux? If so, maybe your gut needs rebalancing. Acidophilus can be a big help with this. I hope you manage to find some relief, it sounds like your struggling just to keep going. Sometimes things just take time and our body has a wonderful ability to repair itself given time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.