Covid 19 taste and smell issues

Posted , 10 users are following.

Am now on about day 6 after confirmation and whilst my symptoms fluctuate and some have passed I still have real problems with my sense of smell and taste - I find most things taste vile and smells have changed to one indescribable one - coffee sends me over the edge. Does anyone else have this and does it wear off???

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Please don't worry it also happened to me. It lasted about 8 days and then stated to come back. Ive been so poorly but thankfully the worst is over. Just take it one day at a time you will be ok

Sarah x

• Posted

Oh thank you so much for your reply - am glad you are starting to recover. Its such a worry when they don't know but a comfort to be able to contact people who have had it. Hope you continue to improve hon xxx

• Edited

Hi, for reassurance my husband lost his sense of smell and taste after her had symptoms and it lasted almost 4 weeks. it is perfectly fine now. Hooe your feeling better soon

• Posted

I was hospitalised for one week. when i came home my taste had completely altered, i have always been a sweet tooth and I couldn't stand anything sweet at all, in fact it made me urge. It took until week 6 when i could eat a kit kat for example. Even now im not keen on sweet things. Prior to this I could eat and enjoy a tube of sweets for example now I can only eat 1 or 2. I always drink weak black tea, i could not drink it at all until week 6, it literally made me sick. I have never eaten cereals and milk as they used to give me terrible stomach ache and i never liked milk from a child. I now eat cereals and milk! My sense of smell completely disappeared but returned in week 5. I'm sure it will settle down for you but it took several weeks for me. THe only food I could eat in the first two weeks of being home was crumpets, and drink was blackcurrant sugar free juice.

• Posted

that is a good thing then if it has put you off sugar. If you could eat a tube of sweets before and it has put you off, the virus has some benefits. Refined sugar is really bad for you and cause obesity and diabetes, both weaknesses that the virus takes advantage of, but if it has put you off sugar maybe it has benefits as well. No one should be eating a tube of sweets, so look at the good that has come of this.

• Posted

oh it's certainly a benefit but it's just such a weird thing. I have always been a sweet tooth all my life and always had to control it but now I really can't take sweet things in any amount ie a normal pudding portion is far too much for me. I just don't like the sweet taste any more. on the bad side I now crave for salty things,! all very weird.

• Posted

I'm sure it will wear off for you Amanda. like you some things w we're literally vile for me and literally made me sick or urge when I put them in my mouth to try. but it all settled for me in an number of weeks. I was left with an altered likes and dislikes in food. very weird. go slowly, rest a lot and don't force yourself to do things to early is the only advice I can give you. it had taken me 10 weeks and I'm now almost back to normal. I played 9 holes of golf yesterday and didn't run out of breath until the 9 th!! God luck to you.

• Posted

I confirmed positive on the 5th May and the only symptom I really had was my nose burned for 4 days like I had snorted swimming pool water and then after that i lost my smell for 1.5 weeks. and everything has a sweet citrus taste to it. was extremely annoying!

• Posted

Hi,

I'm experiencing same symptoms with my sense of smell and taste.

I can differentiate sweet and salty and that's about it.

How long does it take for it to return to normal?? I'm getting super worried about this!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.