Covid-9 symptoms for 9+ weeks

Posted , 24 users are following.

I've been unwell with the virus for over 9 weeks. I am in my 30s with no underlying health conditions. I have had so many different symptoms at different stages; sore throat, fever, nausea, diarrhoea, gastric issues such as feeling like food is coming up my oesophagus, dry throat, intense upper back pain, weakness, muscle pain in my arms, neck pain, fast heart rate, sensations in left side of my face, breathlessness which is not severe but feels like I can't get a deep breath in, pins and needles in my hands, what feels like pain in my bone in my lower leg, stinging and teary eyes, headaches, stomach pain....

The first 3 weeks were probably the worst as I was unable to get out of bed, week 4 saw a marked improvement and I thought I was recovering with nearly all symptoms disappearing save for some gastric issues but then in week 5 I started to relapse. I had pain in my back again and new symptoms of muscle pain in my arms, pain in my joints and a lot of tension in my upper body. I have tested negative for the virus twice now in weeks 5 and 6. I am over 9 weeks into the virus and am still suffering from muscle pain, breathlessness that feels like I can't get a deep breath in, gastric issues and stinging and teary eyes. All bloods and oxygen sats have been normal. Has anyone out there had similar for this length of time or longer? I am also confused about testing negative for the virus while presenting new symptoms. I've been told I'm not infectious any more so have been trying to take walks outside. I am trying to be as active as I can, some days are better some are worse. I am trying very hard to get better and am eating well even if I find it difficult. I feel there's a whole community out there of people like me that need guidance for prolonged symptoms but there is no advice from the health professionals and it is very unnerving.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm going through something similar except I'm at 10 weeks. I have enough to go to work around 3 days and week and also do some exercise including bike rides, light exercises at home, walks etc... But nowhere near my previous level of energy.

How is your energy level now? Can you manage daily activities (cooking etc...) and some exercise?

Also I'm sleeping terrible. Not very deep sleep, and waking up every 1-2 hours or so.

I think it is due to an over-reactive immune system. Even though the virus is gone your immune system thinks it's still there and keeps on fighting it causing symptoms and inflammation. It will take time for it to settle down.

Doctor also found I was very vitamin D deficient, which might also explain why I'm feeling fatigued and can't sleep properly. I hope this is the case.

• Posted

I am able to do some activity (mum of 4 so plenty to do) but often need to take breaks along the way when I feel breathless. I have also been unable to sleep properly in fact I haven't felt a normal sleepy feeling since week 1. It takes a while to fall asleep and I am likewise waking up every couple of hours. I have no vitamin deficiencies so it could be my immune system or could be anxiety. I have to say anxiety seems to be a big hindrance to recovery so I am working on staying calm despite the symptoms and just plodding on.

• Posted

For me the initial fever lasted 3 days. Then I felt better the next 2 days. On the 5th suddenly I had a sleepless night. I keep getting these jerks as I was about to fall alseep which wakes me up again, Over the next 8-9 days or so I got a few more sleepless nights. Since then I manage a few hours a night of interrupted sleep with the help of melatonin.

Hope your sleep improves and your symptoms as well. Be patient. Give you immune system time to settle down. Don't try to do too much.

• Edited

Quite a few of your symptoms sound like you could have acid reflux, food coming up, back pain, nausea, not being able to take a full breath yet having good oxygen levels and neck pain. Try taking some esomeprazole every day for this and see if it helps. If you have tested negative for the covid 19 virus twice, what makes you so convinced this is what your symptoms are? There are so many other things they could be. A lot of your symptoms could be explained by anxiety.

• Posted

I am coming up for eight weeks with this. Symptoms include continuous burning throat and chest, chest pain fatigue. Have also sometimes had headaches, rashes, diarrhoea. Sleep generally ok at 8 hours but wake a few times with symptoms. .Went back to short work days in week 5. Symptoms in waves with two or three bad followed by good . Worst after i had done a bit more activity, over maybe three day period. Not really improved since week 5. Was prescribed omeprazole 3 weeks ago but no difference. Find meditation helps lesson symptoms. Have now signed off work for at least 2 weeks. I intend to do as little as possible during this time.

• Posted

Hi, I also tested positive for covid about 9 weeks ago. I think I had it mildly compared to some people. a lot of different symptoms like yours but no temperture. The Covid left me with a bad rash and I still have that rash. Today for the first time in a few weeks I felt really bad tightness and pain in my chest and slight shortness of breath. I've never felt so anxious, especially with 3 kids! it scares me so much but I don't know if I'm just being anxious. I've been retested cus of the rash 2 weeks ago but that was negative. hope this helps xx

• Edited

hi,

I'm in week 10, In bed today again with flu like symptoms and exhaustion.

i had the virus mildly, considering what could have happened, for two weeks. then went back to work for three, then crashed again for two, then back 0.5 or two, now in bed again.

at first i was scared, and felt like no one else was relapsing, but now i realise there are quite a few of us.

it is frustrating, but I'm trying to think this will be fine in three to six months. that way I'm realistic and realistic with my work place.

it sucks, but at least we're alive.

• Posted

I'm in week 10-11 ish.

Just wondering do you have trouble sleeping? On day #5 after I had the fever I suddenly started to have sleepless nights.

I now continue to have trouble sleeping. Waking up every 1-2 hours and sometimes I lie awake for hours at a time.

Initially the doctor and I thought it was anxiety but I'm just wondering if it could be a symptom of the virus?

I also found that I'm very Vitamin D deficient which could partly explain why I haven't bounced back for so long.

• Posted

I have the same problem, I don't know if I have vitamin D deficit. Do you sleep better now?

• Posted

I am in week 9 of virus symptoms. I am 37, no underlying health conditions, fit and healthy. Never been tested as i only requested medical attention (GP) in week 3, by which point i was told there was no point as it wouldn't test positive.

So far i have had two lots of antibiotics, two lots of steriods and i have an inhaler. I did test postive for a bacterial chest infestion around week 6, which i was told would of been a secondary infection to the virus. I have also just had a chest xray which has come back normal.

I had all the main symptoms, fever, aches, cough, conjunctivitis, diorreha, shortness of breath, fast heart rate, sore throat, reflux, shakes, headaches, sore sinuses, click in my throat when swallow, fatigue, really bad back pain in upper back, burning sensation in back.

I am still struggling a lot with some symptoms, mainly my throat/windpipe hurts constantly like its inflammed, feels like i have a lump in my throat all the time. Getting loads of headaches and ear ache. It really hurts when i take a deep breath in and i get out of breath doing small walks/tasks. Still coughing a lot which gets worse after light exercise. I have only just started being able to sleep on my side again as it was too painful.

I am so fed up of telling people i am still ill, each day i wake up hoping that today will be the day im better but its just not happening. I am not taking any medication currently, just trying to keep the pain at bay with ibuprophen and paracetamol.

• Posted

hi.

your not alone. yoube literally just described me!

how are you feel now. any better.?

I had coronavirus back at end of march

hope your ok. take 1 day at a time x

• Posted

I have had pretty much most of the covid-19 symptoms since the start of March. only two weeks ago I thought I had recovered from the illness, only in the past few days I have been suffering with a sore throat, swollen glands in my neck, inflamed nose, migraine and a slight temperature, on top of that I have been having gastric issues such as acid reflux and active bowel movements. It is difficult to sleep, but not impossible. This will be the 8th week of on and off battles with these symptoms. I hope for everyone this all passes by and we can return back to normality.

• Edited

im so glad to have found this forum, i started feeling unwell about 8 weeks ago at early stages of covid i didnt have fever or cough so didnt get tested, i did have sore throat, chills , extream fatigue , body heating up and like ice the next, ive never felt so weard the symptoms continue still now, body tingling, crawling, fatigue trouble sleeping, heating up at night like burning. i have no underlaying conditions healthy eat well excercise etc before, recovery is very difficult. is anyone else experiencing prickling, tingling weeks later? thx

• Posted

Hi. 10 weeks on from very mild virus - nasal drip, hoarse voice, sore tongue - week 4 developed mottled forearms and fingers, hands and toes change from white to red to purple randomly - swollen glands come and go all day too. All those symptoms still with me. As others have said - every day a new symptom and no real improvement at all. Usually you get ill - and then there is a steady recovery. With this - just endless and unknown.

• Posted

hi.

I have experienced the same. I'm on week 11.

how are your symptoms now?

• Posted

Skin symptoms persist - swollen glands seem better. They sent me to a rheumatologist as they thought might be a autoimmune disease - but all tests negative. So am sort of stuck with the symptoms. But feel ok

• Posted

thanks for replying. did you ever go to an ent?

theres nothing else to check ?

• Posted

Hi - yes after the rheumatologist said was not autoimmune - went to ENT who did tests and said nothing sinister. THey think was a virus - and that I had a post viral something. I'm left with the changing colour skin and mottling - but throat is definitely getting better. I guess no real answers.

Where are you up to? And what symptoms?

Think I should add is that I had an antibody test - and it was negative so didn't even have it despite three doctors saying I did at the beginning.

• Posted

so you've not had coronavirus or you haven't built antibodies?

what have you done to help with the throat pain.

I've tried everything.

• Posted

i didn't have coronavirus as no antibodies were present - but who knows re accuracy

throat - nothing special - strepsils and panadol - but nothing really relieved the pain until this week

I was about to ask GP for something stronger when it started to ease. Still have a bit of pain but now mostly controlled with just panadol

hope you improve soon

• Posted

thanks for your help.

if youn havent had coronavirus I wonder why you've been experiencing all these symptoms for so long.

think I will.get an antibody test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.