Covid for 4 weeks & still bed ridden. Anyone else had prolonged severe illness without hospitalization

Posted , 209 users are following.

Hi,

I've had Covid19 for 4 weeks and if I had the energy I'd be tearing my hair out.

I've had 2 sets of prohylactic antibiotics to safeguard against bacterial infections, my temperature has been up and down but never higher than 38 the entire illness.

I've had severe neuropathy during the illness and some kind of night seizures accompanying the other more well publicised symptoms that mean my sleep is terrible also.

I went to hospital Day 14 after a week of seriously thinking I'm on death's door and my blood oxygen was good enough to be sent home for follow up at the Covid Hubs where they basically just take temperature, pulse and oxygen levels.

I was prescribed a 2nd course of antibiotics there as my temperature was still up and they are checking in on me every few days.

Meanwhile I am having one better day, then another terrible day, then a better day then a worse day..But 'better' is still bed ridden, just means I can breath well enough and not too dizzy to make myself my own cup of tea, have a shower and engage in some small talk with my family.

Everytime I have a good few hours I think, that must be me getting well now, but no, 4 weeks later and the last 24 hrs my breathlessness has been worse than it was for the previous 5 days..Am about ready to shoot myself.

Is there anyone else that's experienced being so ill with this virus outside of an ICU setting where it's carried on this long?

Even ICU patients are recovering in 3-6weeks .

Cannot understand why I'm not getting well yet.

I have no underlying health issues and I'm in my 30s.

I don't know if I still have Covid or if this is post viral inflammation and fatigue..There is no way of knowing as they are not testing community cases. Every doctor just says it's definitely Covid but I have no idea if I've passed the peak of the illness or if i should still be worried it could get worse.

Just feel it's going on forever.

Be great to know if there's any non hospital stories of people being sick, as in still unable to do a thing this length of time.

Thanks!

19 likes, 5383 replies

5383 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi,

I hope this will help, as I was very interested to hear your case. I started with a fever of 38'C about 3 1/2 weeks ago, with no cough but a horrible headache and aches and pains and severe lethargy. I immediately isolated in the spare room as my son may be at risk. The headache soon went, but the temperature would come and go, and I was still really tired and unable to do much.

After two weeks I spoke to the doctor, who said to stick it out for another week. I then got worse, much more tired and tightness and pain in my chest, but still breathing OK. Temperature was almost constantly at 38. Finally I've been prescribed antibiotics, and the temperature is still around but not constant. This time the Dr said that he didn't think it was Coronavirus as it doesn't go on this long with a temperature.

I'm usually quite fit and active, not overweight and no underlying health issues. Like you I am tearing my hair out and no idea what is going on, or when I'm going to recover.

• Posted

That's interesting.

I hope you get answers soon.

My doctor said I had been ill so long it had to be Covid😂.

My temp though has been up and down. Last temp of 38 was 7 days ago though,its now in the mid 37s but all the rest of the symptoms same.

Is very weird.

Hope it ends soon😔 .

• Edited

Hi,

Interesting , im also long term not right, and see lots of common things being mentioned here which the government say its not CV .

My story starts before the CV lockdown in around Feb from what i can remember, I had a few days with was definitely not right , i felt cold, even being in a 23deg room fully clad in Bed i was cold. this lasted a couple of days and hasn't returned as it was . What i still get is muscle aches mainly my left side (arm being fav.) , it feels like cramp but also like i have a heavy weight , this can also be in other areas ..my gpdismissedit as tennis elbow!.. and just gave exercises.. ( whic never worked) and an occasional cough with a feeling something stuck in my throat.

The next stage was this and Adomin issues i had a burning up feeling it was mainly covering the right side of the area including kidney area .. i got via 111 a Cv field exam ( not tested). There, the doc thought it was an infection ... and gave antiBs.this has cleared most up that was 4 weeks ago ..

i still getting regular on off coughing and phlegm - i can go a few days without then its back... i also have a peppery taste which i cant get rid off this too comes and goes..

All the above is from day 1 . in addition to that i suffer from lethargy , do 2hrs work and im a sleep again! I also get hot flushes which dont last long ..

I'm usually quite fit and active, not overweight and no underlying health issues. I am gettingfed up with this have no idea what is going on, or when I'm going to recover. Im thinking of going backand having a CV test

Colin

• Posted

Very strange that I also have the "tennis elbow" in my left arm. Sometimes I think I'm going to drop my cup if I reach for it from a distance. The flush/chill is almost constant. Tiredness, check. Still no smell and "off" taste. Still have stuffiness and headaches which vary in severity. Fevers between 98 and 99 though my normal is mid 97. Past few days it's been staying around 99 plus or minus. Definitely enough to be annoying with the constant sweating and chills- sometimes literally from moment to moment it seems. They mainly bother me with bad body aches when they get above 99.2 to 99.4 area and usually that's when I have the hard chills. Still no "breathing" issues to speak of and really no cough but definitely unable to do the normal things without getting winded. I tried to mop the floor one day and just thought I would fall out. I was peeing

pouring sweat and felt shaky. I had to go lay down. I'm officially 2 weeks diagnosed tomorrow and probably about 2 1/2 in actuality. I'm supposed to retest tomorrow for work but I'm concerned because I still have symptoms. That test is no fun and I really don't want to go through it more times than I have to. I must have two negatives to return to work. Gahhhhh!!!

God bless you and get well soon hopefully.

• Edited

Res and Julie, yours are the first first-hand stories I've heard, interesting that you have similar descriptions.

I do not have anything specific to add.

But some questions.

First, if you can give some idea of your location?

Second, are there any nutritional questions the doctors ask? What are you eating now? For that matter, what was your diet like before, and were you taking any vitamins and supplements?

Of course zinc has been talked about a lot in regards to the virus.

Thanks, and best wishes for you both - and for all in these times.

• Posted

Location is South England.

My nutrition was not the best.

I have gastroparesis and bad GERD so diet been up and down all year.

Doctor never asked about nutrition though.

I do take VitC and Zinc though.

• Edited

I'm in the East Midlands. Interestingly I also suffer with GERD although not severe. No change to my diet as I am still hungry - it takes a lot to put me off my food. I had a bad case of the flu in December and was still eating like a horse. I would say my diet is quite healthy, lots of soup, avocado, fish, live yoghurt, nut butters etc. I also take vit C and D, turmeric and a probiotic.

I'm not sure how normal our cases are, and I'm also not sure anyone is measuring the non hospital cases. Thanks for replying.

• Posted

Julie, sounds like a great diet, you get zinc from nuts, from fish, from meat, and it may increase zinc absorption if you get quercetin from tea, especially green tea that also has egcg, apples, and onions. Or a supplement capsule, LOL.

Also, if I can ask (and of anyone who has the virus), do you take any blood pressure drugs, especially any of the ACE/ARB drugs, the -tans or the -prils?

• Edited

I drink loads of green tea and peppermint (although 'room service' has decreased the amount I get whilst stuck in the spare room), and no blood pressure meds.

• Posted

I'm on a low Lisinopril- HCTZ pill daily. I also take a low dose Bystolic (beta- blocker) for my heart rate. Both of these are primarily because of the effects that taking my other meds have caused. I have Narcolepsy so I'm on CNS stimulants daily and have been for years. I guess after a while when on them that long it takes its toll on your body.

I thought it ACE 2 inhibitors were what they were looking at as having some effect on the virus. Is that why you ask?

• Edited

Hi Res

I'm on week two now. I have little to no cough, no raised temperature, just constant breathlessness. I've been pretty much bed-bound for these past two weeks. Having said this my condition has been up and down as you describe, I even went back to work for 3 days only for it to hit back yet again. Unlike you though, my sleep has been mostly unaffected, although it is challenging to calm down enough to fall to sleep initially. Saying that, keeping my anxiety levels down while suffering from this breathlessness is a bloody challenge.

Like you, I have no underlying health conditions, however I'm mid-20s and am usually fit and healthy. As a result when I eventually went to hospital I was kept for an hour, had my vitals measured and sent home. I can't argue with the decision as I could still talk (although it is challenging to do so) and walk myself out - like yourself I'm getting pretty desperate... I do hope I haven't another two weeks of this!

To clarify, I too feel slightly better every so often, even on my worst days, but it soon becomes a challenge to breathe again. As well as this I seem to improve every few days, enough to feel my breathing almost back to normal, only for it to return with bad as ever.

Hope you get well soon.

• Edited

I should add - I just spoke with my GP, according to her there is a category of people like us, suffering from breathlessness for an extended period, with or without a cough and/or temperature.

Our prolonged symptom of breathlessness isn't as uncommon as I first thought.

• Edited

Yeah, I think if it was just breathlessness I'd be feeling a bit less depressed. It does make you panic but I've found stuff like lying on my stomach for ten minutes that helps a bit..But I've been literally bed ridden for 4 weeks and the best I get is able to make a cup of tea and have a shower still.

My GP said some people are getting extended inflammation but they have no clear idea of how extended that may be! First they said should resolve in 3 weeks, then they said 4 now they are saying " Hope you get better soon!" 😂 Basically they are learning on the job and everyone seems to be different. When it comes to the night seizures they are all just scratching their heads.

I hope you get a lot better, -permanently better really soon!

• Edited

I did read a medical report which talked about neurological symptoms actually being quite prevalent, but under reported. I think they were talking about 40% plus. Again talked about how much we don't know.

• Edited

Did he say (your GP) if they get better with time? Or is it getting worse with time? I'm in week 4 of the same symptoms. Occasional cough and breathlessness.

• Edited

Hey,

I asked my GP whether I was in the "recovery" stage or not - she seemed to think I was. I was told to take it slowly but try to move around the house a little (if I feel up to it - so don't exert yourself unnecessarily).

Unless I suddenly develop a temperature and begin coughing up mucus she was under the impression things were looking up - those are the red flags to look for apparently.

• Edited

Great to hear that you are recovering. I hope I'll improve soon. Just worried as it is almost 4 weeks already. I'm finishing my first set of antibiotics this Thursday and so far there is no improvement whatsoever, but it is not worse which I hope is a good thing. 😉

Good luck and take care.

• Posted

yeah, I've had 2 sets and it's still no better no worse kind of territory.

It's kind of unsettling .

• Posted

hi, sorry to hear you are still unwell . I am on my 4th week with cough and breathlessness, but no temp now.. may I ask why they gave you antibiotics? I spoke to NHS 111 and they have jyst said to persevere? It is pretty depressing as so many people seem to be over it within a week

• Edited

I don't have any fever, and it is middle of my week 4 now, it feels like I stuck with symptoms, no better, but no worse.

My GP thought it may be secondary pulmonary bacterial infection, that is why she prescribed me an antibiotic, but it doesn't look like it. I'm drinking a cough syrup and it seems to help with cough. Other than that no changes, just waiting game. 😉

• Edited

With C19 antibiotics are being prescribed to treat any secondary infection, in particular of the lungs (pneumonia). When you have a temperature it can be a sign of infection somewhere in the body. I was told GPs are prescribing them regularly to protect/treat this - from what I gather, no temperature = a good sign.

Note: though I'm starting to sound like I know what I'm talking about this is all advice/information given to me by way of conversations I've had with my GP practice.

Hope we all recover soon!

• Posted

Hi my husband is 51 and was shielded due to copd/asthma but after 6 weeks was taken off shielding, god only knows why! He went back to work as an undertaker and within 3 weeks ended up in a & e and a blood test confirmed it. Entering into week 4 and not much improvement. Had the paramedics out the first weekend and his oxygen was fine no temperature and a mild cough. His blood sugar was seriously low. He has had back ache , stomach cramps chest and neck pain painful throat, vouce affected, foggy head, nausea and exhausted, together with shortness of breath when moving which isn't often! 3 minor improvements only but last night he felt worse . Hope this helps someone else to know they aren't alone

• Posted

Res35 Can you give a better description of the night seizures you mention. Exactly what happens to you for you to say seizures please if you can remember by now as it is some time later. Do hope you are fully recovered now.

• Posted

For me I'd get a sudden extreme salt taste come into my mouth right before a very nervy sensation would come over my body followed by little muscle jeans and then my whole left side would start to tingle and seize up...The "seizing up" would be so extreme that id hurt myself as the clenching on the left side arm, shoulder and neck was so bad. During these episodes I'd describe myself as semi Conscious but not in control of my body. During these episodes though i'd be having kind of very trippy thoughts, sense of waking nightmares. On occasion there would be a sense of faintness and numbness that would come all down that same side . Doctor said later this was likely dillirium.

The next day the whole side would ache from the convulsions and honestly it was so bad that even when those more extreme episodes stopped I had the sensation of my body very much being 2 halves with the right side kind of fine and the left just not quite right.

Very odd and hopefully never to be repeated experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.