Covid for 4 weeks & still bed ridden. Anyone else had prolonged severe illness without hospitalization

Posted , 209 users are following.

Hi,

I've had Covid19 for 4 weeks and if I had the energy I'd be tearing my hair out.

I've had 2 sets of prohylactic antibiotics to safeguard against bacterial infections, my temperature has been up and down but never higher than 38 the entire illness.

I've had severe neuropathy during the illness and some kind of night seizures accompanying the other more well publicised symptoms that mean my sleep is terrible also.

I went to hospital Day 14 after a week of seriously thinking I'm on death's door and my blood oxygen was good enough to be sent home for follow up at the Covid Hubs where they basically just take temperature, pulse and oxygen levels.

I was prescribed a 2nd course of antibiotics there as my temperature was still up and they are checking in on me every few days.

Meanwhile I am having one better day, then another terrible day, then a better day then a worse day..But 'better' is still bed ridden, just means I can breath well enough and not too dizzy to make myself my own cup of tea, have a shower and engage in some small talk with my family.

Everytime I have a good few hours I think, that must be me getting well now, but no, 4 weeks later and the last 24 hrs my breathlessness has been worse than it was for the previous 5 days..Am about ready to shoot myself.

Is there anyone else that's experienced being so ill with this virus outside of an ICU setting where it's carried on this long?

Even ICU patients are recovering in 3-6weeks .

Cannot understand why I'm not getting well yet.

I have no underlying health issues and I'm in my 30s.

I don't know if I still have Covid or if this is post viral inflammation and fatigue..There is no way of knowing as they are not testing community cases. Every doctor just says it's definitely Covid but I have no idea if I've passed the peak of the illness or if i should still be worried it could get worse.

Just feel it's going on forever.

Be great to know if there's any non hospital stories of people being sick, as in still unable to do a thing this length of time.

Thanks!

19 likes, 5383 replies

5383 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

so glad i've found this forum, thought it was just me! l'm just going into week 5 still breathless on and off, don't know weather its still corona or anxiety which is through the roof! my latest symtom is major swallon glands to the point that i think my throat is closing at night,which in turn means i can't sleep! hope everyone feels better soon, its hell x

• Edited

Hi Michelle, just to let you know I have had problems swallowing too. It started a week ago. Also had a constant stream of fluid pouring down from my nose into my throat. I found a few spoons of honey gave me temporary relief and drinking plenty. Hope you improve soon.

• Edited

Does anyone in this group feel better with time? Do you see any improvement? I'm almost 4 weeks in this nightmare and it looks like all my symptoms stuck. Cough, breathlessness, no fever. So annoying.

• Edited

Hi Michelle,

I am just on starting week 4, wish I could say I feel better but most days I dont . I am just hoping that as ut has gone on this long things will eventually imorove. Each day seems to be different, today I have had sharp pains in chest and back, which are new, but my breathlessness is not too bad. I have also had very sore throat and painful neck with terrific headaches. I am not normally a sick person so this is driving me mad and also very scary as well as pushing my anxiety levels up. There is comfort to know we are not alone

• Edited

Same as me. I'm hoping one of us can come on here very soon saying they are through it and give us all hope. It's the not knowing that drives me mad. I had a better day today although I have said that at least once every week since this started, only to feel terrible the next day. A good day tomorrow and hopefully the end is in sight. Good luck everyone.

• Edited

I hope it will happen. Great to hear that you had a good day today and wish you quick recovery. for me was the same as yesterday, no changes whatsoever.

• Edited

Hi Julie, the sharp pains could be due to your anxiety. It can cause all sorts of havoc with our bodies but it's hard to unpick what is anxiety and what is not. I have suffered with it myself. I have been doing lots of deep breathing through my belly and found that it helps me a lot. Take care and get well soon

• Edited

morning everyone, i can't believe how simlier everyone symtons on here are to mine,after being told for going into my 5th week of hell that without a fever you probably have'nt got it, even though all the other symtoms match! My glands are my worry now their so far up i cant see a gap.

• Edited

My doctor said that not everyone has a fever (although without testing they don't know if it IS covid or another virus or condition). The striking thing for me is that many on here have contracted it around the same time which would be just before the lockdown I think.

I'm going to see how it goes today. Hopefully there will be an improvement for us all. Fingers crossed.

• Edited

yup, by my counting I contracted it around 7 days before lockdown.

• Edited

yes, my husband and I would have picked it up a week before lock down. my chest is tighter today so I have spoken to 111 who are suggesting i get checked out, will let you know what they say.

• Edited

yes i believe i contracted mine around a week before lockdown, i've rang 111 today about my glands, but no joy, just keep doing what i'm doing and contact my gp if it gets worse!

• Edited

I think I am finally starting to see my 'relapsy' symptoms ease up in my 8th week. I know that seems like a very long time for people only in their 4th or 5th week, but I just want to give people some hope... Since this disease seems to last for so long, and since nobody seems to know for how long, the least I can do is show that at 8 weeks (at least for me) things finally SEEM to be improving! ... But I say this cautiously because I've been in this place before. I thought I was getting over it, then the next day it came back... But the reason I'm writing this is because my 'good' days have finally exceeded my past record of good days... That is to say I've experienced 3 good days in the past, but now I have experienced 4 good days in a row (over an 8 week period) for the first time... Also seems like my relapsy symptoms have eased up somewhat during my most recent episodes too... Could 8 weeks be a general time-line for lingering neurological cases of Covid-19? - Who knows. But I will report back in the next few days to let you know if things remain good. I sure hope I don't have to report another relapse. - I just can't stand this sea-saw anymore!

• Edited

Yes please let us know how you get on. Keep going!!!

• Edited

OK, it's been a couple more days since my last 'post of hope'. I have now been symptom free for a total of 6 days! What a relief after 8 weeks of unending nervousness and anxiety, ringing in the ears, difficulty sleeping, weird dreams, weakness and balance issues, dry mouth and sudden onset of difficulty swallowing for 2 weeks.... Most symptoms kept coming and going every day or two. Relapse and constantly changing weird symptoms were my experience... But now, for the first time in 8 weeks I have had 6 very normal days... Hope I'm done with the relapses. Will report back again soon. Dr. put me on the list to test for antibodies (here in Canada) so I should know if I actually 'had' Covid-19. Willing to bet the house I did.

• Edited

im so happy to read this it brings my hopes up, been sick for 5 weeks now, just lots of aches and pains and shortness of breath and swellness too but it did ease up from the beginning, i just want it to stop, please continue updating, thank you and be safe

• Edited

Such positive news, I agree that week 8 seems to be a bit of a turning point. Am starting week 9 am still not right with the breathing but things are much improved from a couple of weeks ago.

Wishing you continued improvement.

Lx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.