cramping after phlebotomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am recently diagnosed with PVera and have had 5 phlebotomies. I am also on 100 of hydroxyurea. The only problem I seem to be experiencing is pain in my shins after the phlebotomy. It is faitlynsever for the whole day of the phlebotomy, and is betterby the next day. Anyone have an idea of why this is happening.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi lorins. We aren't supposed to lift or do anything strenuous after a phlebotomy. I forgot once and swept the pool. I then had fast heartbeat and had to lie down. Maybe you did something that affected your shins? Did you walk a lot?

harrishill

• Posted

I am terrible about relaxing and resting, but, after my phlebotomy today, I only walked about 2 blocks to a restaurant and my legs ached so badly. I was well hydrated prior, so I just can't understand why they hurt so much. Fortunately, I won't have to have another phlebotomy for a month. I hate when I can't do what I'm used to doing!

• Posted

Hello lorinsj,

It is early days for you as far as PV is concerned and you will discover as time passes that it can produce odd aches and pains which you never experienced previously.  It could be that the phlebotamies have had an effect but I would suggest that harrishill1 has supplied a very coherent explanation.  If you become concerned over anything speak with your haematologist who will be able to address any issues raised.  PV can produce muscle aches and pains but these usually arise perhaps during a course of treatment.  Best wishes.

Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.