CT scan terrible vomiting reaction, has anyone else experienced it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well went for a CT today to look for any secondary issues for my Polycythaemia and also to check my spleen, on arrival was asked to drink four cups of this drink, first drink okay, quite pleasant an aniseed flavour, then proceeded to the CT scanning room, got my gown on and the radiographer then proceeded to find a vein for the contrast dye, after three attempts, all good, all ready, laid down had one scan without the dye, then he came in and administed the dye, all flushed feeling like he discribed and warm sensation, then a metallic taste, all good, no not good!!! Feel sick!!! I'm sick!!! Projectile vomited all over the scanner and me, couldn't stop vomiting, a doctor came in and injected me with something to stop me vomiting!! How embarrassing, it transpires that people with polycythaemia can have a reaction!! Has anyone else experienced it?? It was a awful embarrassing experience for me!!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi julia -  Odd I was wondering yesterday how your further tests were going.

You poor thing what happened sounds awful.  

Someone will be along with knowledge soon, just wanted to send commiserations.

What was the drink for did they say?

j x

• Posted

Think they were looking for tumors on my kidneys and checking my spleen and liver lungs and heart, and veins, can't believe I had a reaction! Typical!! Xx

• Posted

They didn't say what the drink was for unless it was my kidneys?? Xx

• Posted

FGS stop feeling embarrassed about what happened, it wasn't your fault.

Will you have to do it again?

Just wish more was known about polycythaemia it almost seems to be regarded as unimportant by the medical profession !!

xx

• Posted

Hopefully not, I'll know tomorrow once the radiographer has looked at them x

• Posted

I've had a couple but never had a reaction like that.... How have you been feelling as of late Juila? I had a bunch more blood work done today...

• Posted

Just had the CT scan and I see him again on the 22nd, hopefully I'll have answers? I've been really tired xx

• Posted

Glad you got the CT scan out of the way...! I haven't been tired, but my stomach hurts, comes and goes... Sucks...

• Posted

Hi Julia

Hi Julia

l had exactly the same test some 25 years ago - l had no side effects fortuneately. The bone marrow biopsy that l had a couple of weeks previous to that however was the most painful thing l have experienced in my life. A local anaesthetic into the hip was like putting a band aid on a shark bite ! If l have to have another one of these again they'll be "knocking" me out first !

• Posted

Hi Julia. Sorry you had this horrible experience. I was fine with mine. The Cat scan was the rest that revealed my secondary Polycythemia. Thinking of you here in Canada
  • Posted

Hi julia.  Thinking on this did the doctor who gave you the anti nausea jab clarify if it was the injection of dye or the drink you were given that sometimes affects people with polycythaemia?
    • Posted

Hi it was the doctor who said it was the injection rather than the drink that sometimes effects people with polycythaemia as its in your vein, I'm not sure why though xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.