Diclofenac side effects

Posted , 17 users are following.

:I have been prescribed Diclofenac 50mg 3 times a day for pain and restricted movement due to frozen shoulder.

After 3 days of taking the tablets I started getting stomach pains and diarrhoea, so stopped taking them. On the 4th day the stomach ache lasted all day - not severe but annoying enough to be a nuisance.

I am today going to try reducing the dose to 2x50mg a day and see if that lessens the side effects. On the plus side the movement in my shoulder did seem a little better after just 3 days on the tablets.

The dr has put me on them for 3 weeks only and will reassess after that.

Anyone else had these side effects?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just got home today from kidney failure due to diclofinac. My blood pressure was down to 63/14. I was pita my head after suffering from I thought a stomach virus on a Thursday and by Saturday o had fallen three times out of it. I no longer can take nsaids of any kind and the doctors are positive it was diclofenac. It helped my pain until it almost killed me. ICU two days single bed on GI floor five days.
  • Posted

*outta my head

*I had fallen

• Posted

four years ago I was proscribed diclofenac for arthritic knee pain. I was told to take maximum dose to get it into my system if pain persisted continue with maximum dose which I did. some weeks later I found I was breathless, on two occasions blacked out Very frightening. Went to doctors was told I had attrial fibrilation. had cardio version which sorted problem. two years later its back. I have never had heart trouble before taking Diclofenac . I hve only smoked the odd cigar at christmas I am a moderate drinker and have run three marathons. At the moment anything above easy effort leaves me out of breath. Life ruined. Pissed of .

In my experience diclofenac is highly dangerous

• Posted

I had diclofenac a few years ago as it was the new drug on the block then and considered better at relieving the pain and inflammation than my meds.  I didn't read the accomnpanying leaflet, though I doubt it would have prepared me anyway. 

I felt like my body was having some horrendous toxic reaction to the drug, and basically like my body was shutting down and I was dying.

I lay down on the floor and just tried to ride it out, but it was a very scary situation to be in.

What disturbed me since, is that whenever I mention this to any doctor, they sort of look surprised, but to my knowledge, none of them have ever reported it!  I really think that there should be a better system in place for medication side effects to be reported, since what information is available, is usually only from the clinal studies themselves, and the drug companies are notorious for hiding this information or skewing research trials in the first place by patient profiling.

• Posted

The right way to take Diclofenac is with food or else it will erode the stomach lining, but if you really want something to deal with severe pain like I have had to deal with because a kidney stone, there is nothing like this pill. As one person pointed out, use it with lansoprazole. This will help protect the stomach my inhibiting acid production there..
  • Posted

When my back goes out....Diclofenac is the only thing that helps. It also helped me for Plantar Fasciitis and a recent case of muscle pain in the buttocks.

But you MUST take it after some sort of food - or at the very least, drink some milk beforehand. I would also keep off the alcohol, as that can make a bit of a lethal cocktail with Dic. My mother was on Dic, and used to take them on an empty stomach/with booze, and ended up being rushed to hospital with a ruptured stomach ulcer.

• Posted

I just started taking Diclofenac 75mg twice a day with food and it makes my head hurt really bad.I had Right wrist denervation surgery on 10/19/2016.I think I'm gonna stop taking it.My bood pressure is sky high and my blood pressure has never been high before taking this medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.