Disrupted sleep and dreams after covid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys I tested positive for covid back in late August, my symptoms were a sore throat then a dry persistent cough but thankfully nothing serious. But then within a few days I began to experience insomnia, taking a while to fall asleep and very vivid dreams including nightmares when I do sleep. I've not got any of the covid symptoms anymore but the insomnia and dreams when I do sleep is persisting. I am getting enough sleep to get by on but it can be a bit annoying as I wake up when my dreams end this can be 1am, 2am, 3am etc, it's a few times a night. I'm not sleeping right through like I used to. Did anyone else have sleep problems after getting covid?

Thanks. Ben.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben! I experienced exactly what you're experiencing the first time I had covid back in february of 2020! It has taken me a long time to get my sleep back on track and now guess what, I have covid again! So I'm sure the sleep issues and weird dreams will return!

• Posted

Just found this when researching - I've had it 3 times now. After the first 2 I couldn't sleep properly for months, I would be wide awake until 3am and then I couldn't wake up in the morning. It started to affect my life because, no matter what I took or did, I couldn't alter it.

After the third one, however, I'm tired ALL the time and every time I fall asleep I have vivid, negative dreams that are always quite intense and I'm often tired and sometimes have a headache when I wake up from the exhaustion. Its making me anxious to fall asleep, which is almost certainly making the dreams worse

• Edited

I would recommend to visit a neurologist, he may give you more explicit answers to your problem, because as it seems to affect your life after covid, it may has a deeper route

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.