Distalgesic/CoProxamol: Price NOT Side-Effects!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have recently been told the true reason for the withdrawal of Distalgesic was price and not

concern regarding side-effects. If medicines with severe side-effects were to be banned then we would have very few left on the market.

There is no doubt Distalgesic has side-effects but it is also very effective for those who tolerate it well. As it stands, those that can afford it buy abroad and the remainder continue to suffer.

I have oesteoporosis, arthritis, degenerative disc disease, spinal cysts, spondylosis and pain from a fractured spine. Since stopping Distalgesic I have been in continuous pain. Codeine

makes me nauseous, gives me nightmares and hives and does not control the pain. The GPs attitude is 'tough luck'. There are only a couple of drugs not containing codeine available. They

both cause me nasty side effects. So I have years of life ahead that will be full of pain. What price 'Human Rights'?

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm delighted that your GP has managed to get permission to prescribe you Coproxamol as a 'named patient'. Some CCGs will not even allow this these days. However, I've managed to persuade my GP to prescribe them for me with a private prescription recently after a long battle for several years. Surprisingly, 56 tabs only cost me £4.90 too, so the price has come down considerably. I can only advise people not to give up the battle, some you CAN win !
  • Posted

I was eventually prescribed Gaberpentine to replace Co-Proxamal but in six months I put on 1 St 7 lb! As I suffer from Crohns Disease oesteo arthritis and inflammatory arthritis this has not been good. Given I months supply of Co-proximal to see if I can lose some weight. 7 lbs in one month a definite improvement but told only option might be a spinal implant! Not happy as when co-proximal was approved it was a cheap drug, only recently has it become expensive. Seems ridiculous and unnecessary.
  • Posted

Keep fighting as it i going to get worse...been told I cannot have it !!!!!  So am fighting back as the reason is cost but changing me to something else will mean plus a laxitive and then when it goes the other way something for the diarroeha and the omeprazole for the acid = same cost as co-prox.  Seems GPs cannot look at anything holistically.....aaarrrghhhhh and to top it all it is what I paid NICs for all these years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.