Do You Have these IIH Symtoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, does any of this sound familiar?

I generally wake up feeling good.  Within an hour of being upright, my hearing become muffled, kind of like being underwater.  It comes and goes at times.

At any time, if I cough, sneeze, strain, or bend over I feel pain in the top of my head. But otherwise, I feel normal. 

Toward the end of the day by 6pm, I get a somewhat mild pressure headache in the center of my head.  Around this time my shoulders become VERY stiff and tense.

I go to bed, and the cycle repeats day after day.  

Are these symtoms and the "later in the day" muscle tension/headache common with IIH?  Or, not?

Thanks!

CJ

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi CJ

Your symptoms sound similar to mine. I would usually feel good in the mornings then once I was moving around and doing the day to day thing, I would find the symptoms would start. I personally did not experience muffled ears but I would get pulsating tinnitus especially at night.. that's that real thuddy type pulsing in the ears.. and almost enhances when partner is snoring or when it's really quiet and a noise appears it'll start thudding like crazy.

Also I would find my "pressure" head aches to be the worst in the afternoon and evenings. They would basically wipe me out and make me super lethargic. I couldn't do anything but go home and lie down. But that was mainly for the lethargy, lying down wouldn't help the headache. And I definitely experienced neck and upper back pain from the headaches.

It's all related for me but i had no idea I even had it, I just wrote off all my symptons to being tired, over worked, stressed, anxiety, whatever else. I have recently been diagnosed with IIH "officially" and have had MRIs ultrasounds and a lumbar puncture last week to drain my CSF to a normal pressure level.

Now I'm on diuretic tablets 4x daily to hopefully maintain the new healthier pressure (apparently).

Have you actually been diagnosed yet?

You should definitely get your eyes tested first - mine was discovered during routine eye test - I had swelling of the optic nerve also known as pallipedema. That's probably your first point - then you may be referred to some diagnostic testing like MRI/CT/US maybe even lumbar puncture IF necessary to rule out anything else up in the noggin and you can then receive an official diagnosis - this is a real tricky condition - find a doctor you're confident with and go from there!

If you have any more questions I'm happy to answer and good luck with everything.

I hope you feel better soon smile

• Posted

Hi I have iih and feel the same normal in the morning and pressure in the late afternoon and everything kicks in on and off worser in the evening then repeats itself I have started eating healthy now which helps me and mild exercise the key is to keep ur mind off it stay calm and even u know their is something wrong with u don't let it overcome you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.