Does this sound like IH?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Here are my symptoms: Pressure in my face, feels like sinus pressure...around my eyes, in my cheeks, my nose, above my nose, my temples. My neck has been stiff/sore. My eyes feel like they have trouble focusing sometimes. I feel off balance when I walk. I went to the ER for this and they did a CT, said everything was fine and said it was a sinus infection even though I have no mucus. When all of this started I woke up one morning feeling like I slept wrong and my neck was stiff and sore. This has all been happening for 2 1/2 weeks, now. What brought me to this board was that I was on doxycycline for a few days and it seemed to start around that time and I recently read where it can cause IH. it has been almost two weeks since stopping the medication and I still feel the same. I just got insurance and I am waiting for the info in the mail and will make a doctors appointment as soon as I get it. I just want to hear first hand if this might be what I am dealing with. I am 26 with two children and I just need to feel better to be the mom that they deserve. I was feeling so good before all of this happened. Thank you in advance for your input and guidance. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel. Yes some of these symptoms do seem similar to that of IIH, but the only way that I can be diagnosed would be through a MRI scan and more specifically a spinal tap. I suggest that you see a GP/neurologist as soon as possible.

When I first started out with it, I had pains down my neck and arms as well as headaches and nausea followed by blurred/double vision. I think see someone about it rather sooner that later. My doctor's also took a few weeks to realise that it's not just a sinus infection and I was sent to a neurologist who then immediately diagnosed me with IIH.

Hope I could help

Ruth

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. As soon as I get my insurance info I am making an appointment with a GP. Hopefully they will listen to me and figure out the cause. It also seems to get worse when I'm driving. I just feel so frustrated and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever feel normal again. When I went to the ER they acted like I was on drugs. (I found out later looking through my patient info that they drug tested me.) I'm not on any drugs, I don't drink. I'm just a mom that wants to feel good enough and comfortable enough to drive my kids places and do things with them. Its hard when your husband works 40 hours a week to fit in all the errands and kids appointments on his days off. 

• Posted

I truly understand just how awful you must feel. Don't give up hope. I'm sure the doctor's will be able to get to the bottom on it.

My eyes were affected most out of everything. The double vision, caused by the pressure on the nerves of my eyes, caused me to not be able to drive. It felt as though the oncoming cars were racing towards my car. It was horrific. I've been going to an opthalmologist for two years now since being on the diamox medication for IIH and everything has improved so much. I'm off the medication now and haven't had any symptoms. I see my neurologist next week for my final check-up just to check that everything is back to normal.

It's a long journey but in the end things will come right. Have hope.

You're still young so it might not be too severe. I'm a bit younger than you and the doctor said to me that it's more common in much older women.

I pray that everything will come right with you and they'll get to the bottom of it all. Good luck with everything and your family.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.