EPO Levels

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm on the verge of diagnosis, but my doctor is taking forrrrrever in getting anything done. I had to bring the test results to his attention after two YEARS of Erythrocytosis (all levels above WHO Guidelines), and then started investigating. I have no risk factors and nothing else fits the differential. It could be secondary, but my question is - What are your EPO numbers (if you had them done)? The reference range is 2.6 - 18.5, and my number is 3.9. Now, to me, that's low, but are others numbers higher than that? I know this test isn't definitive and merely another avenue of exploration, but if it were secondary, I would expect it to be 10 or higher. One last question - how many did a bone marrow biopsy? Next stop - looking for the JAK2. Thank you in helping me, help myself to find a diagnosis - god knows my doctor isn't!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You cannot mess around with PV tests for they need to be accurate and informed.   If your doctor is letting you down then you should seek out another who will cater for your requirements.  PV is a serious and rare condition that needs professional attention from the outset.  DIY is not recommended as it involves careful medical checks and treatment.  

Peter.

• Posted

Thank you Peter - I am actually finishing up my Masters in biomedical science, and while they don't teach PV in any depth, I know enough. I've already spoken to an Oncologist friend who can't treat, but just give me advice and give me the reference numbers, support, ideas, answering questions. I actually got a referral to a Hematologist today, so I'll have an answer soon! 

• Posted

So the door has opened for you. Good news.   The drawback with PV is that it is a disease which for many years was little known about and received scant recognition.  At the end of 2019 it suddenly broke free and became the subject of much interest and research.  The JAK gene mutation was recognised about 2004.  There seems to have been a great deal of catching-up since then.  Today it is the Haematologists who appear to be the most informed on MPN's as they generally have more patients referred to them.  It has not been straightforward gaining information on this subject and it is soon realised what a variety of symptoms are involved. Still along way to go.  I wish you well in your studies.

Peter.

• Posted

Thank you - genuinely grateful. It's never easy to realize that you're facing a war with your own body. I really was just curious about the EPO levels, because, to me, that solidified that it's far more likely (even though it is quite rare) to be Primary PV than secondary to something else like Lupus. I was just curious to know where others were with their number. With a high EPO level, it would make total sense that your RBC, HGB, HCT and others would be up, thus indicating hypoxia. I do have sleep apnea, but I've had it for 18 years (whereas my numbers went off the rails June 2016, exactly 2 years ago. They've very steadily and gradually climbed, I am male (although I'm only 35) and the lowest I've desated in 10 sleep studies is 94%, which is normal, and I wear a mask at night, so I am breathing fine all night. That more or less rules that out as the cause of the high lab numbers. Through process of elimination, we've ruled out anything that could be a secondary cause, and if you don't have secondary, you have primary, PV. 

Last, I found a neat little chart yesterday that showed the correlation between your EPO level and your Hemoglobin. Secondary being high HGB & high EPO, whereas low EPO and high HGB. I included it so you could take a look. With my EPO and HGB numbers plugged in, it strongly indicates PV. 

AND, (I promise) I made an appointment with a new doctor for tomorrow who will hopefully be more proactive than my last! 

• Posted

Hi Joshua,

As I understand it EPO is more related to Polycythaemia than to ET of MF where the activity is of a limited character so this may correlate with your view of things.   PV is of course a progressive disorder with a variety of side issues and thereby creates people with symptoms spread over a wide spectrum.  As is often said, each person is different and may receive quite different side-effects but suffer the same diagnosis.  As you have discovered it can prove a very complicated illness which even the experts are pushed to contend with, particularly as the research is now fast moving.  Hope your new medic is to your satisfaction.

Peter. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.