Esomeprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I post occasionally about things that trouble me, I have been having a lot of burning pain in my epigrastric area (GP called it this), along bottom of ribs, sternum and into low stomach area (midriff), feels really tender and burns like mad.  I have taken esomeprazole for 11 years now and GP said it may be gastritis although a CT scan did not show anything.  I upped my dose from 20mg to 80mg and also took 2 x 150m ranitidine, all this did was make it worse, so I have stopped taking it, apart from the odd ranitidine and 20mg every other day of esomeprazole, burning is easing off.  I also started taking a digestive enzyme with betaine HCL on Saturday and feel that this has made a real difference, even this early on, so I am wondering whether I actually have too little acid.  Will keep you posted as there are so many people posting about burning and stinging pains all over stomach with no results showing from tests that it may be worth a try.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi youngatheart - interesting post.  I have lots of pain, I am going to get on probiotics and the yoghurt like Jonathan has suggested.  I never thought of HCL and have never heard of betain.  Did you buy at a heath shop or on line?  I take 150 ranitidine am and pm and turned down PPI's.  But it getting waring now, don't want to eat due to pain.  Nightmare, especially when your other half thinks you are making a fuss over "a bit of heartburn".

Thanx......G

• Posted

Hi, since posting I have realised it was a short term fix.  I found out that If you have excess acid and take too many they will make the acid worse, which is what happened to me.  I am trying to come off PPI's but without success.  Raniditine works by clearing up the acid in your stomach, PPI's work by stopping your body producing it, so they work differently and a PPI is the best solution, BUT and it is a big BUT, you cannot get off them easily once on them.  I have been on them for over 10 years and have tried so many times but the acid always wins.  Yoghurt and probiotics do help but in my opinion not with the acid, they make calm the digestive system.  People do not realise just how debilitating heartburn is.  Take care

• Posted

Hi - you are right there - it is life changing.  10 years is such a long time for PPI's.  I can't see you having an easy job coming off them.  I have always been put off them by others who have this problem on other sites - they just say don't do it -- unless there is a threat of Barretts. 

I take Mastic Gum along with my Ranitidine before bed and a Pepzin and usually don't have any pain at night - mine starts up during the day and if I mess up.

Take care - keep us posted - it helps us all.

• Posted

Hi, yes it is a lifelong thing, I was diagnosed with excess acid and IBS at 15 and am now 58.  I also now have diverticular, which is normal as we age so to be honest everything stomach and bowel relates is an annoyance.  By taking 20mg of esomeprazole and 150mg ranitidine, sometimes twice a day I can usually keep things at bay and have no problems. Sometimes especially when I try to eat more salad, (tomatoes especially) and fruit it becoming a bit worse so a bland diet is better for me. My GP always wants me to stop but I wish I knew how.  There is also some comfort in that these things protect you from ulcers and other nasties. I could be wrong but doesn's pepsin cause acid?  

• Posted

I was recommended the Pepzin GI on another forum from someone who bloggs about it and who says he cleared his up.  I must ask about that.  I know it is an enzyme that lives in the stomach to break down food but when it come up it causes reflux. 

Toms are painful I know, just read lettuce is hard to digest - new one on me thats.

Good point about protecting against ulcers, my mum and sister both had them.

I can't believe how much it can ruin life - a big big pain the the preverbial.

G.

• Posted

hi youngatheart 

you said you had excess acid since you were 15, are you taking ppi since then ? i am suffering form acidity from 2 yrs now , done endoscopy twice first time nothing was there everything was normal all they can came up with is functional dyspepsia, but  8 months later  after 2nd endoscopy they found some errosive fundus in my stomach. i am totally confused i am taking panoprazole from the begining then how did it happened. Even after taking ppi i don't get full relief burning in stomach & sour water comes in mouth all the time .right now i am on 20mg rebeprazole with 75mg levosulpride. which is not helping me it does help to reduce acidity but other symptoms still continuing.  I am starting to fear it might develop barrett's or esophagus cancer. what should i do? 

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking esomeprazole for over 10 years now, although have had IBS and acid since a teenager.  My understanding is that the PPI's stop the chance of getting barretts, or so my GP said. I have thickening of the stomach wall and fundus which was seen on a CT scan, but GP not worried.  Are you in UK as not heard of what you are taking.   I recently was recommended slippery elm tablets by my GP they are herbal and you take 1 - 20minues before a meal, they work. I am less acidy and not taking PPIs every day.  I would think if you had anything sinister they would have told you when they did your 2nd endoscopy, what did they say about the erosion

• Posted

Hi youngatheart1,

Sorry i am late .After the 2nd Endoscopy they said its nothing serious but i have to keep taking pantoprazole for atleast 3 mnths then they will think about reducing the dosage. Gone to my GP for clarification he also said its nothing serious. Trying to quit PPI but its very hard u know . I notice my acidity was not so intense when i started taking ppi and ppi actually increased the Acid production .Now everytime i try to come off them Acid breaks out badly. Any suggestion on how to quit it will be handy? am i doing right to try to quit?  

• Posted

Hi, glad it was nothing serious.  I wish I knew how to stop PPI's, the slippery elm worked for a while but in the last 2 weeks am back again on double dose esomeprazole as the acid came back with a vengeance.  I really wish I could stop but even people who say they do it with diet, the diet is so restrictive and not enjoyable that you give in and start the acid off again. I agree that the PPI does increase acid as I was never this bad either.  I think I am on it for life unless there is a new drug that can do the same things without the scary stories attached.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.