Ex-opiate addict needs pain relief.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All

Ok so I am a recovering prescription opiate addict who has been off the pills for quite some time now. I was originally taking codeine and tramadol for lower back pain which didnt respond to physio.

I got hooked on these pills and started to abuse them so earlier this yet I went on a detox program and its been a long 9 months but I am finally off them (and my weekly opiate urine test proves that too!).

Thing is the pain in my lower back is back with a vengance and it seems all I can take is Paracetamol (cant take ant-inflammatorys like ibuprofen and naproxen, etc due to health issues ). Opiates are simplay a no-go and my GP record has been marked to say this.

So I was wondering if anyone who maybe been in the same boat as me could suggest any medication I could ask my GP for ? I have a appt with them in the morning and need to get some something sorted before I go on a family Xmas break on the 23rd for 10 days, otherwise I will be a misery !

Cheers

Trent

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Lyrica (Pregabalin) may be right for you. People I know have had good results with them. Ive just drastically reduced my opiate intake as I discovered they could actually make my chronic neuropathic pain even worse, and I was taking a lot of Tapentadol and Oramorph but Ive been lucky enough to reduce without associated problems. Anyway hope that helps a little. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Thans S1dwayne for the response!

Saw my doctor this morning and they have prescribed me Amitriptyline and Baclofen to see if that helps with the pain.

I must admit the Baclofen is already working very well and I have to take it 3 times a day so already feel some relief, I start taking the Amitriptyline tonight.

Has anyoe else this combo ? are there any bad side effects ?

Trent

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.