Excruciating left groin pain sudden onset senior lady does anyone know what this is? Help please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Woke up this morning and couldn't bear weight on my left leg 

Excruciating  groin pain radiating down the inside of my left leg.

In tears trying to reach the bathroom 

I have no idea what's going on

Am looking after my husband who has stage 4 lung cancer- I need to get better as soon as possible 

I am a senior lady

Can anyone help with diagnosis please 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Babs

We do not diagnose here we are all patients in our own right.

However this may be muscle or tendon that has twisted or it may be coming from the hip. There is no way to tell.

Make an appointment with your GP and explain your problem. If it is easier, take yourself down to A and E and they will check out what the problem is. I have problems with my tendons and that can be painful.

Can you arrange to be taken to hospital to check you are ok ?

BOB

• Posted

Babs

Sorry,

What can be done is call NHS Information Line Tel 111, they will advise and they will advise

If the pain is really bad, you could call for an Ambulance Tel 999

BOB

• Posted

There are a few things it could be but with your age and location of the pain I almost wonder if it's not something, polymyalgia rheumatica. It has a very fast onset but it also has to be bilateral. It is also possible that you injured something while caring for your husband. it is a pinched nerve then seeing a PT might help.

• Posted

Hello Babs,

It sounds as if you might have damaged the SARTORIUS muscle. It attaches to the hip and crosses the thigh to the inner side.attaching to the Tibia on the inner side of the leg.My problem developed following a badly sprained ankle and fracture to the 5th Metatarsal head. I was given exercises to do to get my balance back,  having worn a boot for several weeks, and these caused the problem.

I am not making a diagnosis, but having had a problem with this muscle myself, on the left side. I know just how horrendous the pain can be. I had pain in the groin ,where the buttock joined my leg, and in the perineal area which took a long time to get sorted. I still get pain if I do anything out of the ordinary like kicking something with my left foot. Sitting is often very uncomfortable, a bit like sitting on a pin cushion!

My Chiropractor eventually sorted it out, but after many weeks of treatment. I made my own diagnosis, having done a lot of research online.

I am 73, with a history of back injury and osteoporotic spinal fracture, but this episode was the most painful. My pelvis got out of alignment, and the sacroiliac joints started to part company. I had great difficulty getting in and out of bed and once in bed could not easily move.

If you have been caring for your husband you may have injured yourself without realising. My problem started with pain in the groin, and then spread to the Sacro Iliac joints.

Your problem may not be the same, so you should get it checked out, as you may have a hernia.

A chiropractor could help, and I have ultrasound treatment which deals with  inflammation.

Hope this is helpful. There is more info online about this particular muscle if you have  the time to look.

Ruth

• Posted

You need GP/emergency treatment asap. Do not waste time here. Best to call for an ambulance and let the paramedics diagnose/treat you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.