Experience of muscle twitching after Omeprazole?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone experienced muscle twitching after stopping Omeprazole?

I was given a 28 day course of Omeprazole for suspected silent reflux. Within a few days of taking the medication I began to get very dizzy and felt completely spaced out. I couldn't concentrate and was struggling to talk and string sentences together. I didn't make the connection between these symptoms and a possibly reaction to the omeprazole until my partner suggested I google the side effects. around day 16 of taking the medication I looked up possible side effects and discovered dizziness was common. I immediately ceased taking the medication. However the next day I had a strange buzzing feeling all over my body which persisted and turned into severe pins and needles and a burning sensation in my hands and feet. This subsided after about 24 hours but I was left with a crawling feeling in my right calf and ankle. I ignored it at first but I then noticed that my calf was twitching constantly, in random places. This twitching has now spread to my left calf (although it's not as bad or frequent in the left leg). I'm now on day 6 since I quite the omeprazole but the twitching and fasciculations aren't going away and I'm starting to freak out. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? You google persistent muscle twitching and some very scary results come back. I'm trying not to think the worst. Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi David. I know this post isnt very recent but I wanted to reply and see how you’re doing now. I was taking Omeprazole for about 2 months and was experiencing dizziness, anxiety, panic attacks, chest pain, etc. and finally linked it back to the drug. I stopped taking it about 4 weeks ago. when i first stopped taking it, i experienced major body aches/cramps in my arms and legs, definitely the pins and needles feeling that you are describing, muscle twitching, along with all of my other ongoing symptoms. i do still occasionally feel like aches and pins and needles feelings but not as intense as when i first came off the drug. my muscle twitching is definitely still something i deal with daily, sometimes even my entire body will have one big twitch. not a good feeling at all. hoping as time goes on the symptoms continue to subside but we'll see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.