Extended use of Omeprazole

Posted , 24 users are following.

I have been on Omeprazole for 4 years and have experienced severe leg cramping at night. I have had multiple blood tests and also an EMG with no results. The doctor put me on Baclofen which is a muscle relaxer and this has not helped. Has anyone else experienced this because it's driving me crazy. I have now taken myself off Omeprazole but I'm experiencing nausea.

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on Omeprazole 20mg for 7 years ( for a time I was on 2x per day) and have

experienced SEVERE Leg and Feet Cramping. at night. I've had multiple blood tests with

no results. I am also on Baclofen 10mg 3 times a day. and it doesn't help. I've spent many

sleepless nights and sometimes my feet will curl to where I can't stand. This has been going

on for for well over 6 years and the episodes have increased over time.

• Posted

I tried coming off omeprazole for 2-1/2 weeks but took Prilosec in the meantime. This did not help because I still suffered with the cramping and also acid reflux terribly. I've also taken myself off Baclofen because it did not help. I absolutely hate to go to bed at night because I know I will be up in a couple of hour with cramping. I just don't know what to do anymore.
    • Posted

Prilosec is Omeprazole!  if you want something different over the counter you'll need Zantac, etc.

• Posted

Today I stopped the Omeprazole, But didn't have time to look for something to replace it, I plan on using baking soda to help curb my acid reflux.. I try to give myself a couple of hours, to alIow time for cramping. I average 30 mins to 2 hours of cramping per night, some of them were all night. I'm sorry your having to deal with this too, The pain gets pretty unbearable. The loss of sleep takes it's toll. I'm single and this seriously cramps my style, lol... Makes me a dull boy...:-)...
  • Posted

I just woke up after my second night of being off of Omeprazole, and so far No Cramping. I've been eating a bland diet, since I haven't found a replacement for it yet. My leg cramps have always been below the knee and does include my feet, It's usually 5-6 out of 7 nights per week. I'm more surprised when it doesn't happen. February in Colorado, I use an electric heating pad under my sheets and a down blanket.

Over time I've researched Omeprazole and Cramping and some websites state, stretching the muscle helps to stop the cramping. I wish it was that simple, yes I immediately jump from bed and try to stand before my feet have feet have time to curl, where I can't stand at all. Typically the cramping doesn't come on slowly, My muscles lock up and continue while I'm standing and stretching. I hold on to what ever i can for stability, trying not to fall, because I know I won't be able to get back up, I just never know how long the episode or episodes will last (avg 1/2 - 2hrs), when it comes it feels like it might never stop. I've had a few nights where this went on over 7hrs.

• Posted

I'm going through exactly what you are going though word for word. Right down to holding onto my bureau when this is happening, afraid I might fall. I find getting into the bathtub and letting the hot water run on the cramping leg helps relieve it. As far as stretching the leg, it makes it much worse or brings on a cramp. A friend of mine told me to also come off of ice tea, which I have done also. I was drinking about 16 oz a day. I came off omeprazole for 2-1/2 weeks and still suffered the spasms. I also tried Zantac instead in the meantime because it doesn't contain omeprazole. Between the cramping and acid reflux, I went back on Omeprazole. I feel after 4 years of taking this med, the damage is done and causing the cramps. i wrote to the manufacturer of omeprazole this am and told them about this and asked if this was the common side effect. My sister laughed and said "you don't really think they are going to admit it, do you"........it was worth a try. I'll let you know if I hear from them.
  • Posted

Hello, I appreciate you trying to contact the manufacturer. I refuse to believe we're alone in this. You're Tough if you can get into the bathtub, or do you mean the shower? I'd be afraid I couldn't get out. My muscles will lock in a curled position, so I try to keep them straight. When it comes to Tea, and or caffeine, over the years I've tried both with and without. I do know that people that can't see, have no clue what its like, that includes the Dr's. My feet will curl to where its impossible to stand, but who will see it, if I'm alone when it happens. One Dr put me on Dilantin for Epileptic Seizures, and it worked but then my primary Dr took me immediately off it saying it could be toxic.or cause something else, i don't remember.
  • Posted

It's been a while since I stopped taking the Omeprazole. and the cramps haven't happened nearly as much. But its midnight and I'm up with cramps in my legs and feet. I drink plenty of water, roughly one gallon daily.
  • Posted

Hi Phyllisaa6. I have been on Omeprazole for 1 year and have had at least 9 months of painful cramping in my lower legs and feet. I told my pain management and general practitioner about my problem and their response was to give me Methocarbamol(Robaxin).  Thank you for this forum that I just stumbled upon. Now I can seriously discuss the cramps with my doctors. All of you are a Godsend for me. Thank You  Sincerely Jeff7754
  • Posted

I've had acid reflux and bloating for a couple of years. Been on Ranitidine but doctor put me on 40 MG of Omeprazole after an endoscopy revealing a couple of small stomach ulcers and one polyp which he removed. My primary care has had me on 500 Calcium two times a day, plus Vit D. I also eat Tums all day long which is also calcium. My leg cramps at night have gotten so bad its tough to live with it. I think I have calcium overload, plus the Omeprazole causing its own form of cramps. I'm going to ER today to have it checked out, but fear they will only give me muscle relaxers instead of trying to regulate the calcium. What is your take?

• Posted

Ask for a proper discussion appointment with your doctor.

Ring in advance explain what questions you want to ask in advance I have so he /she has the information you need .

I want to know exactly what I'm deficient in and by how much.

what amounts of each supplement of iron calcium copper magnesium potassium vitamin 12 and vitamin C and D do I need to take orally.?

Can I use activated charcoal tablets and / or gaviscon to control acid ? If so what quantity and how often. Before or after foods.?

What happens if I stop taking omeprazole and only use the charcoal and gaviscon ?

Why does my stomach bleed or why have I got a hernia or ulcer and what natural remedies or foods or supplements will help me ?

• Posted

I recently took Omeprazole and will NEVER take it again. I took it as Zegerid OTC. It only lasted from Aug. 9-Aug 19.

In the beginning it was amazing. I could eat anything. No heartburn. 6 days ago I had HORRIBLE anxiety. I stopped taking it on Aug 20. (11 pills).

I am currently still feeling some anxiety, horrible dry mouth, dry throat, and a slight burning tongue sensation at the tip. Has anyone else had these side effects? It is driving me crazy. I just want this medicine to wear off, I'll gladly take the heartburn back over these side effects, any day 😔

• Posted

Hi kyle1024, I been feeling all those symptoms n more n let me tell you it's horrible there's times I can't even sleep. I toke omeprazole for 3mth cuz my doctor though I had acid reflux which i didn't sad so I stopped it and still feel bad hope all this side effects go away soon

• Posted

It's the worst. If I could fast forward my life another week or so and get to the point where I no longer had these symptoms, I gladly would.

Today I woke up better, but as we speak, my anxiety is back (slightly) and I have a slight dry mouth and throat again. On to my 6th day without taking it. 10 days on it, now 6 off.

We'll see, I'll keep everyone updated. 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.