Extended use of Omeprazole

Posted , 24 users are following.

I have been on Omeprazole for 4 years and have experienced severe leg cramping at night. I have had multiple blood tests and also an EMG with no results. The doctor put me on Baclofen which is a muscle relaxer and this has not helped. Has anyone else experienced this because it's driving me crazy. I have now taken myself off Omeprazole but I'm experiencing nausea.

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

After you've had problems for years with your tum and seen many consultants let alone doctors you'll find that you'll get quite knowledgeable about the meds.. Doctor work on the nice recommendations and mostly hit you with the max (normal) dose of Omeprazole period. Some say there's no difference between the PPIs yet there clearly is as they all have different licenses. I'm not saying for one second your cramps are not down to the meds but meg deficiency to the level of causing problems I really doubt and this is why. PPIs stop you absorbing SOME minerals and vitamins not all the amount but slowly over long long period.  You'll still be getting some but not all.  And your body has a reserve so this also must be depleted before any signs.  To prove it to yourself you could try taking a high dose mag, if that stopped the cramps I'm on board. PPIs even though they work they have a dark-side  and cause many problems in SOME people and this maybe leg cramps in you and others.  I cant take lansoprazole because of stomach cramps but its nothing to do with mag.  All PPIs make my sleep pattern horrendous, the higher the dose the more problems.  Kidney problems long term. I started taking these meds years ago and as I've gotten older the side effects become more prominent.  Do your research and I mean research every paper and test result you can find. I like pantoprazole but I had to come off because of intense itching and went back on after 3 months on Om, but I kept trying Pantoprazole because I can manage on 20mg which = 10mg Om but I have to take 20mg om to get the same relief. Excess acid also carries high risks long term so its finding a balance and don't expect the doctors to find that for you, most will just keep you on 20mg Om (cheap) or even 40mg until the cows come home.  Don't be afraid of asking your doc to try a different med if OM does not suit you.  And try the lowest dose.  Its a different case if you've got problems which need a higher dose to heal your tum but if its just for control of excessive acid  go in low.  But you must do what you feel is right for you.  Oh since November last year I've been on H2s, om 10mg-20mg and pantoprazole 20-40mg daily (not all at the same time lol) and now all is settled again on 20 pan, my old uncle 98 was left on 40 mg om for years and we dropped it to 20mg and now hes on 10mg, 75% reduced dose that still works, not the doctors but us taking him to the doctors and saying drop his dose.  Hes now much better, he felt depressed, lifeless had pains in his arms and many more.  Popped him on vitamins and minerals including iron and hes way way better.  The doctors tend to leave you on a certain PPI and dose that they do for 99% of their patients.  Good luck and don't worry to much you'll sort it, information is power my friend.   

• Posted

I too have been taking Omeprazole and have been suffering from leg cramps. Going to bed was a nightmare! Also I was bloated and had gas! Mouth sores and congestion in my ear! All symptoms of Omeprazole! And I still had acid reflux😳

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.