Facial hair

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I'm Froyd and I'm 17yo. I have Klinefelter's syndrome but I'm not treated for it. I was wondering what are your experiences with shaving and beard growth, is it possible to have a full beard with this condition? May i also mention that I'm asking this because it was always my dream to have a manly full beard but unfortunately I think that wouldn't be possible given my condition.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello LucasFroyd,  well, if the medical profession is true to form, and if they're still as conservative with therapy as they were with me (an I was diagnosed at 17) then you'll be 18 before you start therapy, and 30 before you have to shave regularly, and 40 before you'll shave your full face.  However, if your doctors actually listen to you, and you do actually complain, and don't take crap about whether your father or brothers have lots of facial hair as that's irrelevant, compare yourself to males about your age who are not relatives as that what all other males your age do.  And if you jump up and down, and scream and shout (figuratively speaking), and make yourself a genuine pain in the posterior, then just maybe your doctors will listen?

Not starting therapy until you're 18 can be a good thing, as before then parents have a say, and cutting them out is what age 18 does automatically, even if you do get on really well with them.  

• Posted

Hi well first go and get tested then ask if u can start testosterone injections the soon u do this the more of a normal life u will have ,I didn't find out till I was 38yrs old 

• Posted

Well some XXY guys respond really well to testosterone and can grow a full beard within a year or two of starting therapy.  LucasFroyd has been diagnosed with KS, and that alone suggests he needs therapy from my perspective.  The medical perspective is that just being XXY is KS, and he may have sufficient testosterone for his age, even if his body doesn't respond as his peers are responding. The only way his doctors will accept he has insufficient response is if there's no, or very little, facial hair growth after many years, a wholly unacceptable proposition.  A more normal life is not guaranteed just by receiving testosterone therapy.

• Posted

At age 18, I only had what is called peach fuzz under my lip. I could not grow any facial hair.

Only after getting testosterone injections, did I start to grow facial hair. But I cannot grow any hair directly under my nose. So it looks strange, so I cannot grow a full.moustache.

Be cautious, not all men with KS can grow a full beard. I met one man who stated he could only grow hair on his chin.

With testosterone, I also have hair on my entire chest, back, shoulders and arse. But limited hair on my legs. Arm hair only grows on one side of my arm.and none on the other side. Then in the other normal areas -- underarms and public.

areas.

I can grow a full beard in a week, so I shave regularly because in my case, it itches if it is too thick.

The only place my hair doesn't grow is on the top of my head. I am partially bald.

Some KS men prefer not to get testosterone. It is your choice, but without having testosterone can lead to osteopenia or osteoporosis. Good luck

• Posted

You're a lucky chappy, I didn't start therapy until after my 18th birthday, 7th October 1977 I believe was the start date?  cheesygrin  So I had no facial hair at all, no body hair at all, but apparently 'good' pubic  hair growth and a long penis.  Where others were making hair, my body was making a long penis.   Of course it's not possible to show off ones penis as a sign of early maturity, but facial hair is a wonderful indication.

Back then my friend who was a year younger than me could get served in pubs without ID as he looked much older due to his facial hair.  It was all just so unfair!   I felt robbed!   These days I pay particular attention to teenage boys who pass by my way, my daughters boy friends were obvious choices.  Anyway, they too paid great attention to  the beginnings of facial hair growth, even though it looks unkempt, it is, to them, better than nothing.  It's not just for XXY males that facial hair doesn't grow as wanted, and the same is true for every other aspect of virgining adulthood.

The problem for XXY males is that puberty stalls, and these beginning  stages of manhood either do not show, or show for far too long.  I think endocrinologists ought to pay much more attention to how their teenage patients present physically, and much less attention to what they say.

I believe it is possible to force any XXY male to grow a full beard, if that's what he wants.  It's just a matter of forcing the hair follicles to grow, which is dependent on testosterone.   

• Posted

Forgot to mention , I am 66 years old now. Luckily I have not gotten overly obese. Like those KS men as shown in medical books or manuals

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.