Fibrosis of lungs

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm still waiting for a hospital appointment so still not diagnosed but my breathing is severely restricted.

My breathing has been getting worse now for over a year but as I'm asthmatic I put it down to the changeover from Seretide to a generic form. In February however as I was leaving a hotel I found myself gasping for breath and with no help from  my inhaler I knew something else was wrong. Unlike asthma, this problem is effort related.

Since February even just a few steps has me gasping for breath and needing to sit down. The effect is as bad as an asthma attack but it is different and will slowly improve if I sit very still.

My doc took blood tests to rule out anemia and an ECG ruled out the heart being the problem. A chest X-ray showed some fibrosis she said, but as I hadn't had a previous X-ray to compare it to she didn't seem overly worried. My oxygen level was fine she said but as I was unwell she referred me to the chest clinic.

I haven't heard anything yet from the hospital and I'm dependant on my husband now for almost everything. I have to move very slowly around the house and I'm afraid to go out. so any advice would be really appreciated.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Go to emergency if you are having trouble breathing. That's what they are there for. For you,

e

• Posted

Hi Maddie25.  I agree with Eric, you should go to the emergency Dept. and see if they cannot give you at least temporary relief until your chest clinic appointment.  You should also press them to give you a C-Scan -- you cannot adequately diagnose chest problems from an X-Ray.  What you have experienced is very sudden and needs to be more thoroughly checked out and quickly.

​Please come back and let us know what happens.  If we can we will support you further.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.