For the last two years I have had crippling pain in my rib cage, and I need advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey there, I am a 23 year old female and over the past two years I have been experiencing pain in my rib cage.

The pain is progressively getting worse spreading to more parts of my body. I can always feel it coming on because I will experience some discomfort before the pain suddenly hits. It is a horrible tightening (it almost feels as if someone is trying to crush my ribs) that is accompanied by a tightness in my chest (The feeling in my chest almost feels like indigiestion), the pain then travels up to my jaw, and during my most recent "episode" it went up my neck and to the back of my head. Really, quite a miserable experience.

Along with the pain spreading to more areas of my body the amount if time it last is also gradually increasing, The first time it happened it was for only a few minutes, I have been suffering with this most current episode for going on 8 hours now.

I have seen three different doctors about this pain. The first simply did a physical exam, the second an X-ray, the third blood work and another X-ray. Every single one has simply told me that it must be muscle spasms in my rib cage and have sent me home with Vicodin and two different kinds of Muscle relaxers. None of these have had any effect on easing the pain.

I'm at my wits end, and scared that this is progressively getting worse but no one can seem to diagnose it.

Does anyone have some advice or insight of what this might actually be?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you under daily stress or being verbally abused? Stress can cause the same symptoms as a serious illness or an injury that causes these types of pain. I know we all have some sort of unavoidable stress and I don't say this to embarrass you but I have read a lot of articles on this. If you are not under a lot of stress, I would continue to see your doctor on a regular basis until you get it resolved or get another opinion from another doctor. If you are under a lot of stress, you may try to change some things in your life and also try to get on some medication for the stress.

• Posted

Well maybe you need to go to an osteopath to check the muscles . As if your muscles are knotted smwhere the pain will travel to other areas and also get worse overtime if not treated. I would definitely go to one. I myself have had problems with muscles and went to see one. The actually work wonders .
  • Posted

Hi Funky Mutt

When you had bloodwork were you tested for 'inflammation' this involves an ESR blood test (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) if you have inflammation in your body it can result in the sort of pain you are experiencing. Ask your doc to be tested for inflammatiom.....best wishes...

• Posted

Pain in the jaw and neck is classic heart attach signs for women. I realize that you are considerable young to have a heart attack but it can happen. Has any of your doctors taken that into consideration?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.