Funny taste

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is a bit of an odd question.

The other day I bought some Spanish courgettes. I cooked one in a pasta sauce and it tasted really, really bitter to me. Like when a cucumber or a courgette has been accidentally fertilised and goes bitter. Hubby said it tasted fine.

Tonight I cooked the other. I thought that the first one had just been a fluke. Nope, to me it was inedible. To him it was sweet.

Anybody else experienced strange changes in how food tastes? In this case, everything else that I eat tastes normal to me.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela I don't have a clue what a courgette is however I have developed an aversion to quite a few foods I used to eat.  I can't stand the smell or look let alone the  taste of beef.  It all of a sudden tastes unpleasant to me.  Pork also.  Seems I'm becoming a vegan without trying to. I don't know if it's the Pv but I suspect it's the Jakafi.  Are you on HU or Jakafi? Zap

• Posted

Ah, a courgette is what we here in UK call what you call a zucchino.

I'm vegetarian so meat has always tasted repulsive to me anyway!

I'm just on my usual aspirin and venesection routine.

We had a few weeks when there were no courgettes to be had because the Spanish, who normally supply us, have been having the worst winter for 30 years. All the stuff that they grow under glass suddenly became unavailable. Sometime between my last courgette and these new ones something has happened to my taste buds. Very odd.

• Posted

Angela25928

You do not say what medication you are taking, if any. I mention this because all medications have side effects. My sense of taste became disrupted while I was on intense chemotherapy and only returned to normal when one of my anti-rejection drugs was stopped, but I am an extreme case. I was warned that it can take two years for the sense of taste to return to normal following a problem and if only one food stuff has been affected then that is not so bad, all food tasted wrong to me for several months.

ItchyChris

• Posted

I mentioned above that I am just on aspirin and venesection, the same as ever.

I could imagine some interesting reactions if I had suddenly been given chemotherapy but the new taste sensations have come out of nowhere.

Sorry to hear that you had such problems. Not much fun not being able to enjoy a meal.

• Posted

Angela25928

I assumed, wrongly as it turns out, that you would be on something more aggressive as that is my experience. I will keep my fingers crossed that the PV does not cause you anything more than this one taste change, if indeed it is the cause.

ItchyChris

• Posted

Hee hee, they tried to put me on the hydroxyblahblah but I said no thanks.

I don't especially like courgettes anyway.cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Chris I am an ovarian cancer survivor.  I was on 6 rounds of taxol/cisplatin over a 16 week course.  Wow did my taste buds go haywire.  I constantly had a metal taste in my mouth so I can understand your dilemma.  And now Pv.  Hope you're doing well and can find foods that you like.  Zap

• Posted

Zapamania

My sense of tast has now returned to normal except for tea, I lost the tast for that many years ago but give it a try once in a while just in case it has returned.

ItchyChris

• Posted

Hi Angela.

I would go along with ItchyChris"s view about dietary reasons for your change in taste.  There are any number of reasons why this might happen and probably you will never know as it will right itself I suppose without too much ado.  Courgettes are a popular vegetable but like anything else can test your taste buds to the limit.

Peter.

• Posted

Just hope it doesn't happen to green beans. I've got a freezer full of them from last summer.confused

• Posted

Hi Angela,

Seems like you already have the answer for courgettes with your supply of green beans.  Bon Appetite.

Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.