Gardening Activate Mast Cell Activation????

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had Activation from gardening outside? Any tips or clues on the cause?

1/2016, traveled to Mayo Clinic & diagnoised with Mast Cell Disorder, CVID, Autoimmune Urticaria..........lots of new meds H1, H2, H3 Blockers, IVIG......however, my hometown doctors ask me how to spell my conditions. Ugh....

3-4 weeks ago I started an organic garden. Peat Moss, Organic Compost, organic vegtable soil & plants. 3 days later unable to get out-of-bed, felt like the flu.

-Extreme Fatigue, Muscle/Joint Pain

-Deep Bone Pain Hips, Lower back

-Shortness of Breath, Dizziness, feeling faint

-Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea

-Crushing Headaches

-Edema

-Heart Palpations

-Cold Sweats

-Mentally Impaired (Comes & Goes, confusion)

1 week ago, Rheumatologist sent me to Er, admitted for "Sinus Bradycardia & Left Ventricular Hypertrophy".

Finally home, still on bedrest, but now developed Severe oral Thrush mouth/throat, 2 days later a burning sinusitis, rash on arms & torso. Doctors totally perplexed. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's definitely plausible that it could be the cause. Multiple possible routes could cause it. The most obvious would be an allergy to anything you came in contact with. (Pollen, or even mold in the potting soil as an example) allergies are something seperate from mast cell disorders, but a mast cell disease neither makes you more or less likely to have an allergy. They are something seperate from mast cell triggers, however any allergy can still act as a mast cell trigger.

Other possibilities can be the excercise of gardening, or sun exposure, or temperature. It could also be you simply caught some kind of infection, as bacteria or viruses can also trigger degranulation. (In which case gardening would be fine)

As far as the oral thrush, are you currently taking any oral steroids? Asthma inhalers, swallowed inhalers for EoE or that kind of thing?

• Posted

No steriods, but I am on Biologics, Plaquenil, Methotrexate, and the H1, H2, H3 blockers. Luckily, I've been off the steriods for over 6 months. Physical Exertion & heat have been triggers, but it was an easy breezy day.

Worst part of all, my ER docs & Hospitalist had to research what Mast Cell Disorders were & still were confused.

I guess I feel if I knew the trigger, I could have more control over what seems to be an unpredictable condition. I journal, but all I know for sure are illnesses, exertion, heat, and tomatoes.

• Posted

StridAst summed it up: exercise or any bioagent you came in contact with while gardening. Could also be skin exposure to high salicylates, which causes a mast call degranulation reaction. Organic plants are high in sals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.