Gastritis and Lansoprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I’ve been diagnosed with Gastritis ( with ? Ulcer )  from my symptoms of severe belching with burning pain in right side and feeling of something inmy throat. I’ve had no tests done but been put on 60 mg Lansoprazole, I’ve been on my meds for about 4 weeks now the severe belching is reduced but not gone and the burning isn’t so bad but still there, does anyone have a similar story and if so how long do the meds take to stop the symptoms please. I also had a horrid metallic taste in my mouth is that a side effect ? 

Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

As you get older, your gastric acid reduces and causes you many issues.

one symptom is belching after food especially, another is gastric pain caused by the acid, in turn the acid causes burning of the oesophagus which can feel like a ‘lump’ in your throat, a nasty worrying symptom.

This is so often misdiagnosed as excessive acid and treated with proton pump inhibitors which decrease or inhibit the production of acid altogether! A dose of 60mgs is a large dose.

Reflux of gastric contents is NOT stopped by ppis, it merely stops acid production, you will still get the reflux without the burning.

You need to look at what gastric acid does, it is needed for breaking down food, it gives an acid bath in which bacteria cannot grow and it also facilitates absorption of many nutrients and vital minerals such as magnesium!

if you are lacking in acid, bacteria will thrive in your stomach, they give off or produce ‘gas’ and this in turn pushes the acid up into your oesophagus hence you suffer burning. Take ppis and bacteria have a riot on your stomach where conditions are perfect thrive and produce more gas!

Do some research into all this, make lifestyle changes, don’t eat after 6pm, elevate the head of your bed and drinking water and lemon first thing in the morning helps also.

Cut out dairy, red meat (all meat if you can) processed foods, supplement magnesium, cider vinegar and ultimately things will eventually improve. 

Theres no quick fix!

• Posted

Thanks for your message it’s the knawing and burning in my stomach. That really gets me down , 
  • Posted

Yes I have same the funny taste but had years on off and endoscopy gastroscope show gastritis I get flare up fruit aggravates me I also take natural but on a flare up at Mo so on laprosole 30 day 4 all same symptoms as you x
    • Posted

Hi Joanne 

Thanks for your message , do you think the lansoprazole helps?? I’m on 60 mg ( 30 twice a day ) but the gnawing pain is still there in my stomach , it get you down doesn’t it x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.