GERD, Anxiety, englarged prostate + Pantoprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am male & in my late twenties.

About a year ago, I had my first really bad experience of symptoms associated with GERD and my sleep became absolutely terrible. The extreme symptoms subsided after two or so weeks, but the bad sleep lasted for months. My doctors kept telling me it was just my anxiety.

After three months, I started pepcid to manage symptoms for about a month, and was eventually switched to pantoprazole because the pepcid wasn't quite cutting it.

I also had a stomach ultrasound and EDG. Ultrasound revealed a mildly enlarged prostate, EDG revealed mild GERD.

Because the GERD was "mild" at the time, I was told to wean off of pantoprazole and started taking one every other day, before wiping it out completely.

I lasted about a month before symptoms started getting severe again, and sleep issues came back.

I am now back on pantoprazole daily, but now I fear it's affecting my prostate as prostatitis/BPH symptoms are getting worse.

I too have really bad anxiety and am somewhat of a hypochondriac, as I've discovered many on this site experience as well.

I found this NIH article online https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30790678 and now I'm worried that the pantoprazole is negatively affecting my prostate.

As for IBS - I've experienced some symptoms, but I've found that its largely dependent on what I eat. When it's more of a meat-filled diet, no IBS. When I eat a high fiber, veggie diet, super IBS.

I do need to be more strict with my diet and will go back to totally wiping out alcohol and my GERD triggers, and once again wean off of pantoprazole.

I've also heard that the book "Plant Paradox" is largely helpful to those navigating GERD diets.

Is there any hope for me being healthy again? I workout daily and am otherwise pretty fit, but it seems like no matter what I do, my health is deteriorating.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi sorry to hear about your problem. I'm going through a similar thing. it seems the all doctors blame everything on anxiety. I'm going though a bad time. it feels like I'm not digesting my food my bowls are not opening even with the of laxatives. it feels like every thing i eat is being pumped back up to my face. no bad tasted just a very thick paste. i also makes my eyesight go beard. the doctor's have been looking in to it lol but not listening to me and my symtoms. just waiting for the doctor to call me not he will take any notice. I'll let you know 😃

• Posted

hi sorry to hear about your problem. I'm going through a similar thing. it seems the all doctors blame everything on anxiety. I'm going though a bad time. it feels like I'm not digesting my food my bowls are not opening even with the of laxatives. it feels like every thing i eat is being pumped back up to my face. no bad tasted just a very thick paste. i also makes my eyesight go beard. the doctor's have been looking in to it lol but not listening to me and my symtoms. just waiting for the doctor to call me not he will take any notice. I'll let you know 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.