Getting off omeprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm a 22 years 9old male with suspicions of having acid reflux I have been prescribed 20mg of omeprazole for the first time in his life to use for 3 weeks as it is supposed to be used to help with the stomach issues. I'm about to finish my second week taking it so my question is what to do after finishing taking the omeprazole should I go back to zantac (ranitidine) ? Or should I stop taking all medication and see if it worked?

Also would it affect me to stop taking it "cold turkey" or should I cut the last pills so i get out little by little? Thank you guys

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Depends on your symptoms. Try very hard with a diet. If that doesn't work report your symptoms to your doctor and see what he says.

• Posted

It depends what your symptoms are.

The normal advice for anyone with persistent heartburn is to see your doctor. The normal course of action is to prescribe omeprazole (or similar) for a few weeks to see if the symptoms clear up. If, afterwards, your heartburn symptoms don't come back, the doctor will assume all's fine. However, if, when you come off the tablets, symptoms return, the doctor will have to investigate further.

You may be referred to a gastroenterologist who may wish to check no serious damage has been done to your oeosphagus (eg Barrett's Oesophagus which in a few cases can mutate to cancer) by performing an endoscopy - a camera down the throat to check.

But it is important not to just keep taking over-the-counter antacids. I did this for too many years and I found I had Barrett's 23 years ago. If you have Barrett's you are usually recommended to continue taking omeprazole for life.

20mg is a low dose. If you were on a higher dose for a period of time, you may experience a rebound effect but that's unlikely on your dose for just a few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.