Gout still a pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with PV in Oct and have suffered with gout constantly since. I am hydrocarbmide and was put on a course of steroids which seemed to work and so was whined off them, I've only been off the steroids for 2 days and the gout is back any advice

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

do not know much about gout,but Iknow we must never get off our medications. What areyou taking for the PV? I am on Jakafi. Reply back if u can.

• Posted

Hi glenn. I was also diagnosed with gout at the same time as being diagnosed with PV. They seem to come together. I have been on allopurinol since then. It works pretty well (for gout), except that I get tophi which are caused by gout and cause small sores that bleed all the time and are difficult to heal. I don't drink alcohol, and eat foods that are ok with gout. Hope you have a better time of it. best wishes, harrishill

• Posted

Hi Glen, 

I know only too we'll how painful gout can be.  I have suffered from hereditary gout for as long as I can remember.  I also know that gout can be a symptom of polycythaemia and its treatment.  It is caused by an over supply of uric acid in the blood.  I was affected by gout before I was ever diagnosed with PV.  Allopurinol has been my treatment for many years effectively dealing with this problem.  I would not be without it.   I cannot recall when I was last affected.  Good luck.

Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.