Hair loss

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi, I've been taking Omerprozrole since April, I have been loosing my hair and now I've got a few bald bits and my hair is gone very thin, has ayone else experienced this problem

7 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ray

My doctor has switched me to a drug called Zantac. This whole problem of Omeprazole makes me angry.

Doctors are asked to report back to pharmaceutical companies any adverse reactions to a drug yet no doctors seem to be doing this.

• Posted

Hi~

Ive been taking omeprazole for about a month and I thought the hair loss was my imagination until I read this forum. I am 32 years old and have enough hair for 3 people, or used to anyway. Other info says this side effect is rare? What are my options for alternatives, any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a gastric ulcer and cannot go without some kind of treatment, the pain is almost unbearable. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this. Thanks!

• Posted

Sorry-

Saw the zantac post, guess I meant home remedies, I really dont want to take anymore Rx drugs.

• Posted

Hi all. I am so relieved to have found this site. I believe this drug is the major cause of hair loss . Even though it says hair loss is a rare side effect. I had a healthy head of hair on 27 April (I know as I was at the hairdressers and she commented on the thickness of my hair). On 20 May I started taking Omeprazole for GERD problems. On Friday 7 June (18 days from starting the pills) I went to my hairdressers again and she polietly asked if I had noticed the two BALD patches at the back of my head!! She told me I have alopecia areata.

I was horrified, I could not see my doctor as I was going abroad on holiday that evening. I stopped taking the pills immediately and rushed to Boots the Chemsit and bought vitamin supplments called Trilogic. They cost £36 for one month. Three vitamins per day. My hair is still falling out. I have an appointment on Monday 1 July (earliest appointment!) with my GP. I will keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi lynn96 I have had the exact same experience with you.. just wanted to see how your hair is now? Did you find out if it was the medication?  I have been told by two dermatologist that I have alopecia areata but i found this thread about hair loss from this medication as I was taking it for 2 months. 
  • Posted

OMG!!!! I had exactly the same problem Lynn96 .At first I could not understand what the hell was causing my hair loss because my hair is usually thick and strong. Then I realised that maybe there was some medication, I was taking that was causing my hair to fall out and become weak .I have been on this medication for almost a month and that's exactly around the time this problem started. It caused a very small patch at first and then it spread to quite a large area in the shape of a odd triangle. I also used to feel this weird tingly feeling in my hair all the time.

After reading these comments I stopped taking the medication immediately and I hope my hair will get stronger again and grow back. I am furious that I was not advised about this side affect by the doctor or pharmacist.

I will be very interested to know what the outcome is.

• Posted

I'm taking Omeprazole and my hair is falling out. I have stopped it my doctor has put me on Lansoprazole which sounds from the same family of pills.. Now I don't know what to do..how long before my hair stops falling out.
  • Posted

Hi

My hair is still falling out but at a slower rate. I have been told that it could continue to fall out for a few more months then it should stop but it can take up to one year for regrowth. I am not on medication for my GERD problem but it is quite painful.

I did some research and found a website called Yellowcard which is a site where you can report side effects of drugs. If they receive a numebr of complaints about a particular drug they will look into it with the pharmeuctical company and sometimes s they even take them off the market. As so many of us are suffering please consider reporting your issues to Yellowcard. I am continuing to take vitamins which assist hair growth. I think the worse thing you can do is start worrying about the hair loss, although I know it is very difficult. Hopefully, your hair will start to return. Keep me posted. Lynn

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your message. I got to stop worrying or the doctor will say its down too stress.. I have a Hiatus Hernia. I will try just taking gaviscon.. What vitamins do you take for your hair...I will go on that website..

Karen

• Posted

Hi Karen

I am taking an excellent iron liquid supplement and one for hair. I will check out the names tonight and get back to you.Please try to remain calm and not stress as I believe the hair loss is temporary. Hair is so important to women.

I am taking Pepto Bismol for stomach issues which is good also.

Take care.

Lynn

• Posted

Hi lynn96! I found this forum and see that your last comment was a year ago. How is your hair now? I just stopped taking Omeprazole and I've been taking vitamin supplements for a few weeks now, trying to figure out why I'm loosing my hair. I'm very curious to know if you're hair has come back?! Also, cane mentioned a "tingling" feeling. I have had that and a feeling like something is moving around in my hair... thanks so much in advance!

• Posted

I am having the same problem with omeprazole and hair loss! Stopped it about 4 weeks ago and hair is still breaking and shedding. My thyroid and ferritin levels were normal. Did your hair come back? Thanks in advance!

• Posted

I'm having problems with hair loss too , but I take fantimine or pepcid also nexium ,im reading about pepcid causing g hair loss, I was wondering has your hair grown back

• Posted

The alternative is Nexium, which the GP's will not prescribe because of the cost.I also have ruined hair through this drug. I had lots of hair, although it was fine. Now it will not take a perm and is constantly a mess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.