harrishill1

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've been doing fine on Hydroxyurea for three yrs and all of a sudden my red blood count went extremely high. My Hematologist has me taking two a day instead of one. I had recently gained ten pounds. I wonder if the weight gain has anything to do with my high red count? Anyone else have this problem? I have been dieting, and lost 4 pounds.

Still trying to get down to 123 pounds. Hope this helps.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm roughly 8st heavier than I should be should be and the experience I have is my cell count creeps up over a 6mth period. Would u be eating or drinking anything that has lots of iron in it? Don't know if that would be the cause . Though I try to avoid anything with high iron content.
  • Posted

Hello again.

We were in touch a couple of years ago when I was first diagnosed and your positivity helped me a great deal.

It will be three years in August since I found I had polycytaemia and a similar thing has happened to me. My blood has been stable for quite some time but at my last check it had gone above the ideal and I had a venesection (first one for ages) My Hydroxyurea has also been increased to 2 daily. I could do to lose a few pounds but seem to have no motivation this time of year. I believe the Hydroxyurea dose is based on bodyweight so this perhaps has some relevance. Will certainly try harder from now.

Best wishes and take care

Janet

• Posted

Hello Harrishill.  I took Hydroxycarbamide (aka Urea) for quite a number of years before being told to stop this drug.  Over the years the dosage was altered in line with the variable red blood cell count.  On one occasion I came off hydroxycarb. which was substituted with another large one-off dosage of Busulphan and after a few weeks , back onto Hydroxy again.  Eventually, after again reaching maximum dosage of this I was taken off and offered Ruxolitinib last year which I now take.  My blood count has been stabilised.  Your weight could be compromised by Hydroxy. but mine did not change.  Hydroxycarbamide performed well for the first few years but as the dosage increased, so did my physical problems which needed extra medical attention. Today these problems still exist but to a much lesser degree.  It is hoped these will soon be gone.  Ruxolitinib has seemingly worked well for me.  As for dieting, I have not needed to go down this route but Hydroxycarbamide could well be affecting you this way.  My experience is that some are differentlt affected by this drug but its effects are more pronounced with the higher doses taken.  Good luck with your treatment.
  • Posted

Hi again everyone. Thanks for your response to my question. Now, I wonder if the high red count makes me gain weight. I still have 4 pounds to lose, and hope it willl help my blood count. I still feel pretty good. I do a half hour zumba five days a weeek, and an hour zumba  on saturday. I've started weeding afternoons for a couple of hours. I feel better than my daughter does, most of the time. She also has rheumatoid arthritis, like me. Hers bothers her a lot, because she doesn't exercise very often.  HAve a nice day all.

HArris1

• Posted

I think that would be very unlikely. It's possible you maybe stressed about something and not realise your nibbling more often . Best wishes, clem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.