Have to come off Esmoperazole for 2 weeks for test. How do I cope?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys,

I have to come off my ppi for 2 weeks for a h.pylori test.

It's day two and I feel like I'm choking from the acid coming back up. My gp said I might not be able to take the test and will have to take my tablet but I'm determined to do this and rule this bug out.

I've taken gaviscon but still feel like acid is almost at the top of my throat everytime I swallow. I'm worried too encase this is an ulcer and it might burst with me being off my tablets for 2 weeks.

Anyone had to do this before? Any advice?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi, your gp should have suggested weaning off the ppi on a gradual basis before you are expected to go cold turkey. have a chat with your gp asap and find out how long you can be completely weaned off until your test timeframe. you should not be expected to suddenly go off ppi and not suffer the consequences as iv been there myself and its not pleasant. best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, it's too much at once. I think I'm going to take one and try the gradual approach. I've been to a proper consultant who made me do the same before and it wasn't too bad but it wasn't as bad as it is now but even he didn't mention the gradual reduction of them so it's a pity when the professional don't have a clue. Thank you.

• Posted

I attempted a change of meds and ended up in ICU for two days with a bleeding ulcer. I have given up trying to change or stop this medication.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you're doing better now.

• Posted

That was two years ago. I am still taking them because I am afraid to not take them.

• Edited

Hi, I've recently decided to try again to come of my omeprazole and I'm actually finding it successful this time. It's probably my 5th attempt. I've been on ppi for 13 years I think. I started to think that my symtoms were due to the tablet maybe 4 or 5 years ago and have tried to come off them failing before.

Initially I was proscribed them for the bug in your stomach and on about 40-60 mg a day and after the treatment I was stuck on them. Up until recently I got down to 10mg a day and then I bought some micro scales and took the capsules to bits at started to weigh out my own (doctors are useless and won't even entertain that these drugs cause Any issue) so I dropped a week to being on 0.8mg the 0.7mg then 0.6mg where I started to get very bad acid reflux. So I stopped taking them and used rennies to neutralise the acid. For the first 10 days it's been pretty hellish but I've really gone for it as I've started to feel very weak in my self. 6 days after I feel my strength back. I've taken two rennies a hour later after every meal regardless of thinking I needed it or not. Everything and anything I ate caused accid issues but I've persisted. Gaviscon dual action before bed and eat WELL in advance of bed 4hours etc. After the 10th day I considered going back on them but I'm on my 12th day and the acid has almost stopped. I'm gobsmacked. These ppi in my case were causing my complaint someone should go to prison for this but the big pharma companies know what they do. DON'T get me wrong they really do help some people but they are over used. Red apples have helped me, and I've eaten blueberries every morning in pancakes made with self raising flour (for the by carbonate soda) I'm not saying this is a mirical cure but it's working for me. I'm on day 13 and I'm very emotional, very moody and I read read these are likely side effects but it's starting to feel worth it.

I'm guessing your having the camera. I've had it 4 times looking for my mythical problem and the last time I had it they said don't stop taking them. They are full of sh1t and don't stop taking them. You need to persist as they can mask other issues you might have.

I wish everyone the best of luck trying to come off these

• Posted

youre spot on my friend they couldnt give a s**t they just keep telling us to keep on the ppi poison i tried coming off lasnzaprozole and christ i thought i was going to die as a result im still on them. another thing i found and maybe others on here suffered the same . when i had my 3rd endescopy in 2016/17 im not sure but i felt completely different afterwards like there was a gap in my stomach as a result my appetite suffered eating less than before that endescopy as a result my appetite is getting smaller over the years. im convinced they did some damage that affected my appetite as the previous scopes i was fine afterwards. of course when i mentioned this to my doctor and consultant they dismissed this and said just keep on the ppis. i have since had stomach ultrasound and another scope all coming back the same. its a pain in the ass that highly qualified sometimes overpaid professionals just sit on their hands or more to the point they havnt got a clue what the problems are despite all the training they had.

• Posted

how are your rebound symptoms now? I am on day 10 and not much has changed since I first came off them - slight ease with gaviscone advance and herbal remidies. i was only on the ppi for 3 weeks

• Posted

Try Bisodol tablets for some relief.

I tested negative but my doctor said in case its wrong I'll still give you triple therapy if you like. I accepted and it gave me quite dreadful long lasting stomach pain,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.