High RBC, Hemaglobin and Hematocrit?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello! I'm new here and have a question about my blood tests.

So I figured I would be proactive and order my own blood test and check to make sure I am healthy while trying to get pregnant. Everything was normal, including my magnesium levels, which was great, but on my CBC, my red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit were all high. This wasn't a first time thing. For the last 3 years of blood tests, my hemoglobin and hematocrit have remained high, sometimes my WBC would be high and then sometimes my RBC would be high or sometimes my lymphocytes would be high as well. Nothing was ever critical high, but just high. I also had a high Erythorocytes Sedimentation Rate (which just is a test for inflammation) and a Low Urea Nitrogen level (this was in 2015 though). 

I was seeing a doctor a couple years ago when this started and he threw out "polycythemia," but he said that would be extremely rare for my age (I'm 28). He tried to rule out secondary polycythemia and ordered chest x-rays, thyroid tests, etc and everything else was fine with me. During this time, I found out I also have Heterozygous Factor V Lieden, which just means I am at higher risk of a blood clot in my life, but doesn't mean I will for sure get one. I have to take extra care during pregnancy as it could make me have miscarriages as well.

I did see a Hematologist and he didn't seem to worried about Factor V or my high blood test. He said he doubts it is polycythemia because of my age. But neither doctor ever figured out why my blood tests remained abnormal for so long. 

The only symptoms I have is constant fatigue (even after full night sleep) and itchy skin after exercise or hot showers/baths. That's it. My vitamin D level was low at one time, but it's normal again. I take tons of vitamins now to try to stay healthy. I don't really work out, but I am 5'1 and 115 pds. I have a drink or two a night, 4 times a week or more. I don't smoke. I eat healthy. I drink a ton of water everyday. 

Hubby says we will notify the OB when I get pregnant and show him my current blood tests and see what he says. He doesn't think it's something I need to worry about right now if it's not affecting me. He hates going to the doctors and I don't blame him for that. After going to my last doctor for a year trying to figure out what was wrong and spending a TON of money, it was frustrating and useless. Ever since my last doctor threw out the word Polycythemia, it has worried me though. I wish he never suggested it.

Does anyone have the same problem as me? Is this something I should worry about? What would you do?

Any advice would be so helpful, I'm stressing out! 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Alex and always coffee.

There is a great deal truth in what you have said and I can say that your experiences have been similar to my own. I was initially diagnosed with PV about 20 years ago and have come to realise that its symptoms although very mild, were affecting me a long time before this.  A few years later following the diagnosis I was informed that research had pinpointed the cause of PV as a defective gene from birth.  Since then research has continued, mostly in US which has been instrumental in provoking a number of new treatments and the rationalisation of others.  Before this time very little was really known about the disorder and the mere mention of it induced raised eyebrows amongst both medics and the public generally.  Things today fortunately have advanced noticeably and much more is known about the disorder and its associated partners in the MPD Grouping.  PV first came to notice in about 1870,  if I remember correctly,  in Mexico but apart from a mention in a medical journal never assumed any real attention  until perhaps 50 years later when it did receive a little more notice in UK but once more it became sidelined with no appreciable extra information being made known..  Now patients are quickly identified and treated individually with a variety of medicines etc. available for doctors to use.  It remains a very serious and rare disorder however and with the ongoing researches in place can be expected to prove more and better treated than it once was.

Best regards.

Peter.

• Posted

Hi Always Coffee,

I hope you still receive updates on this post as my story seems very similar to yours. Last year (26yrs old) I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my calf and then found out I have the Factor V Leiden Mutation. A few months ago, I was diagnosed with a peptic ulcer. This past week, I have been experiencing crazy itching all over my body followed with some petechiae and unexplained bruising. I have suffered from High Blood pressure since I 17. My RBC's and Hematocrit came back slightly elevated at (5.25) and (45.3%). Was wondering if you have any updates on this?

Thanks!

Chelsea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.