Hip Pain for 5+ Months

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 15 years old and about 5 months ago (probably almost 6) I began having hip pain in my left hip after doing warm ups and walking around for a bit (it's not tender.) It's nothing new. It's the same warm ups I've been doing since I was 11 or 12. I went to the doctor and she chalked it up to tendonitis, but I'm not really that active. I go on walks and bike rides from time to time, but nothing too strenuous that would overuse my hip. As of early April, the hip pain has gotten much worse and more constant. There's pain in the groin and on the side of my hip. There's also been popping in the groin area too (especially with sit ups, long strides, and rotating my hip outwards.) Ant-inflammatories don't help much but rest does. Any ideas of what it could be, or does it sound like tendonitis to you guys too?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have snapping hip syndrome. Go see an orthopedic to get properly diagnosed. In the meant time rest Ice it and elevate it. Hope this helps feel better
  • Posted

I think you're doctor was right and that you have tendonitis in your hip. And what you're doing is just aggravating the situation by continuing to ignore the problem. You need to give it a rest and put ice on and continue taking your anti-inflammatories. At least do this for 2 weeks and see if it doesn't feel better. If you're still feeling the pain after 2 weeks then by all means go see a doctor again or an orthopedic if you want to go that far but give it a rest for a little while.

• Posted

I'm confused... I haven't been doing anything that would cause overuse or aggrivation. I try to rest it as much as possible, but simple things in my daily routine (ie walking from class to class and up and down stairs) seems to make my hip pain worse. Whenever the pain gets really bad (to the point where it hurts a lot to put pressure on it) then I do ice it, but if it's tendonitis, then I have no idea what I did to overuse my hip, unless tendonitis could be caused by something else other than overuse? From every article I've read on tendonitis though, overuse seems to be the cause of it.

• Posted

Snapping hip syndrome can happen by just moving or getting up the wrong way. I suggest you see an orthopedic and take it from their. They'll do an X-ray or a ct scan to properly diagnose and treat you. Feel better hun. Cause I definitely know your pain I got diagnosed with hip dysplasia when I was 24 yrs old. So I definitely know how dibilating the pain can be. Good luck

• Posted

Well, I just went to a physical therapist and she agreed with my doctor that it probably is tendonitis, until she did one kind of exercise with my hip that was supposed to cause a dull aching type of pain but instead caused a sharp pain, which made her think that it may be something like hip dysplasia, but we're going to see how well physical therapy works in 3 weeks.

• Posted

I hope it's not hip dysplasia I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 24. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Yeah I hope so too. I read about it and I really don't want it to be hip dysplasia, but apparently it's more common in first born children, girls, and people who are hypermobile, which is who I am, but I wasn't born in the breech position though.

• Posted

Yea I'm the only one in my family that got it. My mom and my aunt had it and so did my grandmother on my moms side. Out of all the children btw my mom and my aunt I'm the only one that got it. I now have a 13 yr old daughter who complains a lot of leg pain. I get her check every few yrs. so far so good. Good luck. I'm 48 now just got my hip replaced 11 months ago still have some complications and I'm looking at another surgery once they figure out what's causing my groin pain. It's definitely a soft tissue issue so I should get that resolved hopefully this month. For my dysplasia I under went a surgery called a Ganz osteotomy and I did very well with it. It lasted me 20 yrs. so don't loose hope if it is hip dysplasia. Keep me posted

• Posted

Well, a little over two weeks with PT have passed and honestly, I just feel like it's aggravating my hip more. My physical therapist is aware that my hip isn't getting any better and so far, it's looking like I'll be having an MRI in the future. She really emphasizes not sitting in the "w" position, which I've really been trying to correct by either sitting in a neutral position or criss-cross/indian style/butterfly/etc. but I find myself w-sitting absent mindedly from time to time. I've sat that way all my life without knowing that it was incorrect. Could w-sitting for so long be contributing to my hip pain as well as with whatever else is going on with it?

• Posted

I've been doing more PT and have been doing all my exercises at home as requested by my physical therapist. There's been improvement in my hip strength, flexability, and balance. However, my hip continues to pop more frequently and (as of a few weeks ago) grind. I have a follow up on the 21st. Do you guys think it could still be tendonitis even though it's not getting better with PT?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.