Hip pain gradually worsening. At the end of my tether

Posted , 1 user is following.

I started suffering from right hip pain, mainly at night when in bed, around 6 months ago. For the first few weeks it felt like a piercing sharp pain that radiated along the outer hip. It would come whether I was lying on the sore side (right), left side, back or front. It didn’t matter how I lay, and there have been times it was sore enough to waken me. It has progressively got worse now, and there is a constant dull ache that worsens and ebbs in pain severity. I can’t even pin point what makes it worse or better. It can be sore with activity, sore with rest and it still can waken me. Within the last month or so the pain has began radiating elsewhere too. The front of my hip (almost as low down as my groin), my inner thigh (sharp pains sometimes radiate as far as my knee) and my lower back and right buttock all ache too. 

My GP sent me for an X-ray in December but this came back showing nothing. So now he’s put me on to voltarol and to be honest it isn’t helping. Any ideas or suggestions on what I can try next? It’s really starting to get me down and I don’t feel like I can go back to my GP as he’s basically told me there’s nothing wrong and to just get on with it.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I should say I’m 33, moderately active (well I was until this pain started) and my GP has now suggested physio. Even as I lay here typing this the throbbing is starting and I’ve a restless night ahead. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.