Hip replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a Hip Replacement 9Years ago and since then I have had 7dislocations of that hip.I also have COPD .My surgeon has told me that because of my COPD and also the fact that the hip was cemented in ,that my hip bone would have to be broken before a new replacement could be put in and he advises against it as it is a major surgery.Now I can hardly walk with pain in both hips and also my breathing has got worse.I am starting yo feel very depressed .Also the hip replacement I had has been taken of the market as it wad found to be faulty.I cannot go out hardly at all as my breathing and pain are so bad.I have cocodomol but try not to take it as I hate the way it makes me feel.Any suggestions please

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That is a tough situation...cant go under the knife due to lung disease...apparently your physician thinks there is a lot of risk (death) in putting you under anesthesia...I am assuming this based on the fact that he is saying your hip would have to pretty much be broken and leave you bedridden before he would even consider surgery...so you are basically left with a limb that is malfunctioning... unfortunately this leads to a bunch of bodily compensations as the body tries to stabilize to keep you from falling on your face...the body does what it has to do to stabilize even if it is painful...not to mention how hard your body is working and the pain that makes breathing more labored particularly with COPD...until the joint functions properly this will be a problem...if there is a way to live with it, it sounds like your physician thinks this is what you need to do...if you cant you may have to find a Dr who will take the risk of surgery and you would have to understand and accept the risk as well...the only other option is to get off the leg that is causing the issue...I know that may seem drastic but if death is the concern with going under surgery it may seem like the better option...Best wishes!
  • Posted

Sorry...one more thing...there may be one more option...when the hip dislocates does it eventually just pop back in place and how do you know it has dislocated... there may be the option of attending physical therapy to strengthen muscle groups to stabilize the pelvic/hip complex to prevent the pain...sometimes muscle imbalances are causing issues at the joint and not necessarily an issue with the joint itself..but if there is something faulty with the joint this may not help but definitely worth a try even if you were a candidate for surgery.
    • Posted

I know it has dislocated Crystal63405 as it is absolute agony .I have to be taken to hospital and put out for as long as it takes for them to put it back into place .It usually means a stay overnight.It is a faulty joint.Then it means 6weeks in a very constricting brace after.Last time I did it I was getting up from an armchair.Thank you for taking the time
    • Posted

Ugh...bless you...sounds very painful! Stinks that there is just not a whole lot of appealing options. I would look into getting at least a brace that can be worn daily to support the joint as best as possible....there is surely someone who can custom fit one to you and your particular issue...this could surely help to avoid tearing up something else like the knee joint or lower back...Best wishes!
  • Posted

Although orthopaedics was part of my training as a nurse many years ago, it was not my speciality. However, an operation is an option if you have a spinal anaesthetic. It's basically an epidural but deeper. The problem you have is your COPD. The majority of pain relieving agents ie. analgesia, are respiratory depressants. So it's all well & good having the operation, but you can't have the pain relief because it will severely hinder your ability to breathe. If you have the operation & it is not entirely successful, you could end up in a wheelchair. What is it that caused the dislocations & do you have osteoporosis?
  • Posted

Hi, I have every sympathy with you. I also had a hip replacement 5 years ago and sixteen months later I took poorly. I was rushed into hospital (unknown to me). Eventually they discovered I had septis. My hip was totally destroyed so the consultant removed it. I was in hospital for a total of 9 weeks, two of them in high dependency unit. Nine months later 

the surgeon gave me a replacement hip. 

all was well for a while until it dislocated, ambulance called, taken to A & E and was admitted. I was taken to theatre after X-ray and the surgeon manipulated the hip back in. Anyway to cut a long story short, I had another 3 dislocations each time put back in with surgery, until the last dislocation on Xmas Eve last year, when he opened me up to put it right, he couldn't do it, there was no muscle or any tissue there to be able to put one in place, so he tidied up in there best he could and said that was it, I am now disabled and have to walk with AIDS or wheelchair. My leg is now 2" shorter and have to have my shoe built up, I am allowed to have 2 shoes a year built up and then I have to pay £40 each time I have one done

It is very frustrating because I am limited to what I can do myself, fortunately I have got the best husband in the world, he takes really good care of me. 

Im glad I'm not the only one who has been unlucky. Oh did I mention too that I also have a fractured pelvis !!! 

Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.