holiday insurance

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all just joined and looking for some advice.

i was diagnosed with polycythemia a yr ago and currently on 1% oxygen 15hrs a day.

im looking to go abroad later in the year for a holiday but insurance is out of my price range.

an y tips ?????

im in wales uk

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I am very interested by that subject. I also am having problems getting travel insurance. I have one at work that says they will cover anything not related to my pv. You all know that any emergency around the hart, lungs, blood can be related to pv. So I don't want to take any chance. I live in Québec Canada, half an hour to Vermont in the USA, but I won't go until I find a way to be insured.

Of you find a way, please share.

Marie

• Posted

I just went on a family holiday to Cape Town. I live in the UK. I managed to get cover through compare the market, with legal and general. Insurance for the four of us including covering me with PV cost just under £70.

I was recently diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera Jak2 Exon 12 mutation. I'm 32 years old and a mum of 2 young boys. Still getting my head round everything

• Posted

Hi Kerry.

Normally a diagnosis of PV would not prevent you from travelling on holiday, it is really up to the insurance company concerned but the fact that you require oxygen may have a negative effect here.  My own annual insurance covers me for a year without restrictions but fortunately I am a participant in a scheme which allows this.  I renew each year without any difficulties.  Somehow  I doubt this is generally available though.  The best you can do is to scour the market and see what you can come up with but do not hide anything in your application.  There are insurance companies that seem to offer cover in unusual cases for short periods so I would suggest you look for one of these.  I have no names of these companies but a good place to look is in the holiday pages of national newspapers.  Other-wise the internet which you probably have already searched.  Have a look at the web-site of Martin Lewis, the consumer champion on TV there is a possibility he can help.  He is a mine of information.

• Posted

Kerry - I am surprised you are on oxygen.  Are you also on any medications? It seems like medications or phlebotomy should be able to control the condition to alleviate the need for oxygen.  

Since I have been on 1000 mg daily of HydroxyUrea my mind is much clearer and my dizziness has gone away. 

• Posted

I have travel insurance with the co-op bank told them I have PVR plus trouble with thyroid and they have not charged me any extra for travel insurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.