Household hit by Covid March/April. Anxiety over recurring symptoms.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I don't know what I expect from posting on here, I guess I just want to know that I'm not alone and it would be good to share our stories with each other.

My husband (39) was struck down with it at the end of March. I (37) got it exactly a week later, early April. A couple of weeks later both my boys (2 & 4) suffered with mild symptoms. April was a hard month.

We fought off the virus at home, we were never tested as they weren't testing unless you were seriously in need of hospital care. So there is the worry that we didn't have Covid, however we had almost all the symptoms at some point in April and we are living with the havoc is causes to your body and mind still today.

I have achey days where I can barely move. I still suffer with chest pains. Sharp in the front and the feeling that somebody is sat on my back. Early June I attempted some light exercise and was left with a crackly breath and horrendous chest pains. I went to A&E and luckily it wasn't lung clots, however its muscle damage/scarring in my lungs. I was informed like its no big deal and I should just rest for 3-6 months. This is a big deal to an active person like myself who relies heavily on exercise to help my mental health too!

I suffer with headaches that put me in bed for a few hours due to the dizziness/nausea they cause.

I also don't have a great digestive system anymore.

My Husband has the dizziness/nausea/headache symptoms come back every fortnight that put him in bed for a day or two. This has also caused issues with his digestive system.

My little 2 year old has had a recurring cough for weeks and weeks. I worry. I try not to but this is so concerning. The doctors aren't concerned because he is well in himself and there are no signs of an infection. This is sad that its now deemed ok for him to suffer with a bad cough for so long.

What I'm starting to get annoyed over is the media's focus being solely on the survival rate. We are survivors yet our health is severely affected. People are going about their lives thinking this won't affect them because they're young and healthy and it will. There are even articles written on asymptomatic people who show lung issues.

I am so angry this has happened to us and scared about what this means for my children's health in the future. As somebody who already was affected by anxiety on a daily basis I am concerned over my growing obsession with this and what it is also doing to my mental health.

We are taking Vitamin D and eating healthy, as we were before Covid. We are no longer exercising as much. I don't know what else I can do to help my family going forward.

Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Guys,

Sorry about your conditions. I'm on week 12th now with my recovery. Was very active before, martial art, cycling etc.

There is a lot that you can do to help yourselves in recovery, firstly stop exercising, it will make all things worse. This is not like any other illness that you had in the past, therefore you can forget about using same techniques.

So far what seems to work is pacing yourself and treat yourself like you are recovering from CFS or CFS/ME or post viral fatigue syndrome (just google them)

There is a spoons method of spreading energy through the day. Slowly you'll get there, but really slowly if you start pushing it will kick you in your backside. Trust me, tried it, it doesn't work.

We don't have virus any more, what we are experiencing is an inflammation of our immune system, I know it is crazy, but I'd recommend to focus on anti inflammatory food, suplements etc everything that can calm it down.

Keep eye on your little one if he/she has any fever or any change in symptoms contact your GP straight away. If not cough can linger for weeks after covid.

If you are looking for tips google that:

Homerton Hospital leads the country with release of post-Covid recovery pack

you'll find all information regarding food and recovery.

Wish you all the best.

Kind regards

Maciek

• Posted

thank you for your reply i will definitely focus on what foods we are eating and get on to buying us some supplements to support that.

best wishes in your recovery too.

• Posted

The cough that comes with COVID is like no other! I coughed for a few months after i had COVID. I just started taking a natural supplement called Ashwagandha for stress and anxiety relief and it has great anti-inflammatory benefits, so it can help with both issues you may be experiencing. It takes up to 2 weeks of taking it before feeling the benefits of it, but it is worth it. It also had other great health benefits. I recommend looking into it. As for excercise, start back real slow with just walking or maybe swimming. Baby steps is the new way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.