How long for body to get back to normal after omeprazole?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was on omeprazole 20 mg just over a year for suspected gastritis. Over the past few months I began having some wide ranging and bizarre symptoms that I learned were being experienced by quite a few other patients taking PPIs: digestive issues like abdominal pain, nausea, poor appetite, poor digestion; and some crazy neurological type symptoms like anxiety (which I didn't have before), insomnia (was always a good sleeper), getting jolted awake from sleep, trouble breathing, blurry vision, brain fog, muscle pain, some chest pains that ended me in the ER twice. All tests done showed nothing. It has not been fun!

So I decided to do wean off and accelerated the pace because I felt so miserable as this drug seemed to be poisoning my body. I weaned for two weeks and I have now been omeprazole free for four weeks as of today. My symptoms may have decreased slightly but I was hoping for a faster recovery. Some days I feel almost normal again and then - wham! Symptoms come back and it is very discouraging.

Has anyone else that's been down this road experienced anything like this? What is a realistic timeline to start feeling normal again on a regular basis? Up until 4 months ago I was a happy, healthy woman enjoying life. Now I feel like my life's been taken away from me...and I want it back. Any insights and experiences you can share will be much appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.