How long recovery time after coming off lansoprazole?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey all, I'm wanting to hear of any success stories in coming off lansoprazole. i was only on the drug for 4 weeks but the acid reflux and heartburn it has left behind is just unbearable. it is worse than what i started out with!! is there hope? Will my body eventually settle back to normal? i read ONE success story that said it took 4 weeks to get over the side effects. What is everybody else's stories?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

When switching from a lansoprazole+H2 blocker regimen, to H2 blocker-only regimen, I've had acid rebound go on for 2 months.

Switching between a stronger PPI and a weaker one can create acid rebound for 2 weeks.

Never just quit a PPI. You have to shift from PPI to an H2 blocker. At this point I would suggest Tagamet if you're relatively healthy and if Tagamet doesn't interact with your other medications, because Zantac was the gold standard and now Zantac is gone, and Pepcid is weak.

... but Pepcid is safer than Tagamet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.