How to stop taking lansoprazole?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am convinced lansoprazole is causing a lot of my mental health problems like brain fog, confusion, agitation, irrabillity and blurred vision. I took 20mg omeprazole basically everyday for 3 years and 30mg of lansoprazole for the last 5 years. I tried to stop taking the lansoprazole recently and got severe heartburn that I had to go back on it. I was taking antacids when I tried to stop taking the lansoprazole and they only mildly helped. I am just wondering if anyone knows how to get off this without such severe heartburn? and how long the heartburn will last if I do stop taking it? I have heard magnesium supplements help with acid reflux?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm half off my total dose. I went down very slowly removing beads over a period of a good month at least. Changed my diet and didn't eat after 7 pm or drink and drank licorice and fennel tea 3 times a day and only used baking soda for heartburn if it happened after 20 years use. I'm staying at this dose for awhile though.

• Posted

Use Zantac 150mg tablets instead for 1 month and stricten your diet. That's how I did it. You will feel worse for a week or two but stick with it. It takes a while for acid levels to balance out.

• Posted

Williamm,

One more thing about supplements that should be taken by patients on PPIs over a long period of time.  The normal acidic environment helps with absorption of vitamins/minerals especially Mg and Ca.  For people on chronic PPIs, it may be wise that Mg and Ca chelate be taken.  Chelates do not need acidic environment to be absorbed.  Magnesium Glycinate and Calcium Citrate are good alternatives.  A bit more expensive though.  

• Posted

Hi

I was on 4 different types of PPI'S on and off for 2 years, I was in constant agony with heartburn/indigestion/acid reflux on a daily basis. I was profoundly worried about the side effects of the PP'S, that I decided to come off them. I immediately got really bad heartburn and indigestion again, so I decided to go vegan for 2 weeks, strict vegan. Unfortunately I had a buffet for friends and family and gave into temptation and came off my vegan diet. But i am now able to eat everything I ate before the pills, I can only put it down to the vegan diet for 2 weeks, I made sure it was highly Alkaline. Oh, I forgot to mention that I also have Gastritis, but even that's not much of an issue now, I drink beer regularly as well. Can't speak for anyone else, but the vegan diet has done me wonders, even if it was for only 2 weeks, but you do need to do your homework and make sure your getting all your vitamins, minerals, EFA's etc.

• Posted

Hi William,

Proton Pump Inhibitors such as Omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole all of them work on the same principle. Ranitidine is a not a PPI and is an older generation antacid that works for simple gas, flatulence. When it becomes chronic, PPIs are prescribed.

Few Alternatives(but better)

- Every morning after brushing, drink a glass of fresh and pure unadulterated ALOE VERA juice.  Remember the Aloe vera juice packaged in HEB/Kroger/Walmart sometimes contains other fruit juices mixed and also a lot of preservatives. The purer the Aloe juice the better it is for GERD/Hearburn patients.

Take 1 glass Aloe Vera juice whenever heartburn, gerd, flatulence, esophagitis symptoms increase. When you drink it ensure that you dont let air pass through, so you have to drink it in one gulp. This ensures that the Aloe vera juice coats your food pipe fully touching the Esophagus and stomach lining. When you give a gap, air also goes in and it is not so effective. 

- Try to avoid processed foods, desserts, baked goods, oily stuff, fast foods, meats for a while till the issue is resolved. Also avoid Alcohol and smoking at all costs. No carbonated drinks as well.

- Drink lots of Watermelon juice, Buttermilk. Cut down on milk and curd. Anything that requires a lot of acid to digest is bad for you. Take the very easily digestible foods and drinks. Eat salads for few days.

- Drink warm water with half a lemon juice mixed with 1 capsule turmeric. Avoid cold water if possible along with cold beverages, coffee, sodas. Only drink luke warm water when possible during the day. See my explanation above on why you need to drink in one single gulp without air entering.

- Do deep breathing such that your lungs are full and you cannot take any more air and then exhale. Do this for 1 minute daily.  Avoid anxiety, depression and tension and anger as much as possible as it precipates heartburn.

Follow this for 3 days, and you will see extremely positive results. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.