Human rights act.....Co-proxamol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am sure there are people like myself who will be in constand pain with the withdrawal of Co-proxamol for the rest of there lives.  That could mean more suicides In the UK.  There is no other painkiller that works for me after many many years with comparatively low pain threshhold that Co-proxamol gave me. I am 78 years old and not so many years in front of me now, all I have to look forward to is pain for the rest of my life.  No one wants to use the human rights act method of solving problems but the MHRA have condemed through there thoughtlessness many people to a life of complete misery.

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Colin93249, It sounds from your post as if you are depressed, which is not surprising, that's what chronic relentless pain on top of coping with older age & declining health & faculties does to one. I'm sure you do know that, IF you have a good relationship of trust with your GP, he/she CAN quite legally give you a PRIVATE prescription for Coproxamol tablets. I pay £4.90p/56 tabs to the pharmacist only, tho' the GP CAN charge for the prescription as well. I am 85 & after considerable persuasion my GP now does so, tho' I only take 1 Coprox. + ! Paracetamol tab/three times a day. After the accumulative effect of about a month this gives me adequate analgesia & has reduced the toxic effect of the total 'normal' paracetamol dose to the liver, with no side effects other than controllable mild constipation. Discuss it with your GP, there is NO legal reason to refuse you if you are not at risk of abusing Coprox. Good luck !
    • Posted

Hello Junechopin, my GP is adament that there is no way I can get Co-Proxamol. I am so glad that at last I can talk to someone that is in the same position as I am. I too do not abuse the recomended dosage in fact I am over careful and take one tablet when the pain gets too unbearable. I would not mind so much but I am a war pentioner of 90

% war pention and have been taking Co-proxamol for many years. I am not suicidal in any sense but I am not looking forward to being in constant pain for the rest of my life. I did my bit for the country and this is how they pay you back. I am impressed at the way you have discribed this situation and will look at my plight in different eyes from now on thank you June please keep in touch so thank you again.

• Posted

You are VERY welcome, Colin. Do also take into account that IF your GP were to give you a private prescription for Coproxamol, he/she would be putting his career on the line legally for you, could charge you for the prescription, & you would have to pay the 'going' rate at the pharmacy ! The GP MAY also suffer some unpleasant knock-on consequences with colleagues & the local CCG panel members (Used to be PCT). Have you thought of changing your GP, tho' it would be difficult to find out BEFORE which GP in the area WOULD be prepared to prescribe them ? How about enquiring with your local pharmacies if THEY are aware of one ?? It's worth a try ! Have you ever been referred to a Pain Clinic ?

I'm assuming, of course, that Coproxamol is medically appropriate/safe for YOU, AND that you live in ENGLAND. I don't know what the legal situation is in Scotland, Wales,N.Ireland !!

Keep your chin up !!

• Posted

I do feel for you, Colin I have a friend who is in a very similar situation. I did not know that if we had a private prescription it would be possible to buy at the pharmacyin the UK , we have looked into this and can only. find it available in the UK at ridiculous prices such as £150 for 100 tablets!

I've had heard people mentioned the MHRA, I wondered if that is inAmerica or in the UK? We have been writing to MPs and Clinical Commissioning Group etc .

• Posted

Dear Thankfulwanyana,

You may find it helpful to read the other discussions in these forums on the withdrawal of Coproxamol licence problem, there are SEVERAL discussion which are a mine of information. You could also 'google' MHRA/Coproxamol which will help explain the background & present situation more clearly. Good luck !

• Posted

Dear Colin,

Since my last email to you, I have 'googled' the BMA guidelines to GPs re. private prescription & I rather think that they say that GPs should NOT charge when giving a private prescription in our circumstances. I previously thought my GP hadn't charged me because I am a retired nurse.

Isn't it confusing that there are so many different discussions ongoing about the same subject in these forums. Surely it would be better to put them ALL into ONE discussion about the same subject ???

• Posted

Thankfulwanyana,

Just type in MHRA & then search for Coproxamol ! However, briefly, it is the UK government agency -  Medicines & Health products Regulatory Agency which ensures that the said products work & are safe !!!!!

• Posted

Dear Colin, I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news BUT, since the extreme shortage of dextropropoxyphene from abroad, the price of Coproxamol has recently ROCKETED to c. £100.00p / 100 tabs to the NHS & a little less for dispensing a private prescription. This will inevitably cause a drop in demand, so I don't know how long it may be before manufacture stops altogether as it will no longer be profitable enough to the rogues !! I'm SO sorry, Colin, I too am one of the victims.
  • Posted

hello colin 93249 i would like to say that i have fibromyalgia and now being treated for copd, i would like to say that i was on co-proxamol for a long time, i have now been taken off them and put on paracetamol plus a lot of other pills, i was told by my g.p. that they are being taken of the market as people have been over dosing on them what i cannot work out if that is true can't people or myself (o.d.) on them as you can go to as many shops and by paracetamols. also if taken off the market how come my sister is still on them. 

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel, I'm 77 and had been on co-proxamol (and distalgesic before that) for over 30 years, they kept the pain at bay and I was able to walk normally, I was on the preferred patient list and was lucky to stay on co-proxamol until May of last year, then it stopped and after trying all the other varieties and getting more and more pain week by week, they finally put me on Buprenorphine patches which have worked to a certain extent, but still not the pain relief afforded by co-proxamol.  I think it is totally out of order for NICE to stop this medication, they are simply condemning thousands of people to a miserable life of pain, but they dont care, its all about money and they would rather dispense our tax money abroad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.