Hydroxyurea, how has it affected you?

Posted , 4 users are following.

At the end of this month I will start Hydroxyurea, it say that one of the side effects is thinning of hair.

My hair falls out for nothing so I am sure it may be the case for me and that is ok.

Can you please share your experiance with this medication?

Have you been able to continue working a fulltime job, feeling fatigued, anything that you do that makes you feel sick?

I understand everyone are diffrent, and yes I read the documented stuff,

But would like to hear from your own experiance.

Another thing, in the last week I been getting "restless leg symptoms, RLS" so bad its impossible to sleep.

Use to get it when pregnant but in a mild format, does anyone else get that?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think for sleeping pills y are prescribed so that correct med and dose. I have a prescibed med which I take occasionally and I also alternately use off the shelf 'herbal' sleep remedies which also seem to help.
  • Posted

Hi Orseblue. I'm a 74 yr old female. I've been on Hydroxyurea for four yrs now.

I feel normal, and although my hair was getting thin before, it hasn't worsened since. My skin is no longer as red as it was before being on the hydroxy. The itching isn't as bad as it was, and I don't sweat at night much anymore. I still have to avoid walking in the heat, but I can easily walk  a couple miles if it's cool out. I am retired, but I've worked 8 to 11 hours when helping my daughter get ready for an Xmas party. I helped her paint, and clean for five days in arow, at least 8 hrs a day. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. Hope you can take the Hydroxy as well as I can. I have no side effects. I do try to get lots of sleep at night, and sometimes a nap if necessary during the afternoon.

harrishill    

• Posted

Hello, thank you for your feedback, it makes it less scary hearing from others that takenthe medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.