I have been on 80mg daily of omeprozol for 2 years and want to get off.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am experiencing nausea, headaches and stomach cramps.  I have seen my gastroenterologist and he said to stop taking it if I wanted, but I hear that it takes a while to wean off.  I talked with another health care person who put me on a degistive enzyme to see if I could handle it.  If I can, then I am to start tapering off the omeprazole.  Any advice will be helpful.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Why are you taking it? Is it for general gastro-reflux, ulcers, Barrett's?

I took a much smaller dose than this after being diagosed with reflux from a hiatus hernia. I didn't think it made a lot of difference so stopped taking it. The PPI may have reduced the acid but it was still refluxing. Off the drug, I suffered badly for a few weeks as my stomach returned to normal acid production. I had burning pain in my stomach but it soon settled down. I now manage the reflux myself by keeping tummy fat to a mimimum (which otherwise pushes on the hernia) and taking care over what I eat.  This works for me but may not for you if your condition is more serious.

• Posted

I am taking it for reflux.  I started out with 40mg and that didn't help, so was prescribed an additional 40mg.  Recently I began having the same problems again, and 80mg is the most you can take, so I am going to try to get off it. My pharmacist has advised me that she has helped several people do this with digestive  enzymes and mega probiotics.  I will start this as soon as I get through with steroids I am taking for another problem.    I am very nauseous and crampy right now.

• Posted

I think it’s important to establish where the cramp is coming from. Is it your stomach or lower down in the gastrointestinal tract in the colon?

It’s important to identify and understand what is causing your reflux.

The stomach normally produces acid to help with the digestion of food and to kill bacteria. This acid is corrosive but the lining in the stomach has a natural mucous barrier which protects it from being worn away by the acid. (That’s why some people get ulcers - when the lining has broken down and acid damages the tissue underneath.)

With reflux, there is a problem with the muscular band at the top of the stomach (the sphincter) that normally keeps the stomach tightly closed. This "valve", which should be one way, can weaken and allow acid to escape (reflux) into the gullet (oesophagus). The gullet doesn’t have the protective lining that the stomach does so it becomes irritated and inflamed causing heartburn.

PPIs  such as Omeprazole stop the cells in the lining of the stomach from producing too much acid. By decreasing the amount of acid, it can help to reduce acid reflux-related symptoms. I think reduce is an important word there.

I would stress that I am not a doctor but have had reflux. Logic tells me that even if production is reduced there still has to be some acid to break down food and that could still reflux into the gullet si we think that the PPI is not working.  Additionally, if stomach acid is reduced then food may not be digested fully in the stomach and could end up passing into the small intestine and then large intestine giving that part of the tract more work to do. That’s why I say it’s important to establish where the cramp is, especially as you have been on a high dose, as it could be a result of poorly digested food irritating the bowel . Or it could simply be your system trying to normalise after taking the drug for a while.

Another factor is ageing. As we age there’s an increasing suspicion that digestive problems may result from either LOW stomach acid or enzyme insufficiency which could be what causes acid reflux.

Digestive enzymes can take stress off of the digestive organs by helping break down difficult-to-digest proteins, starches and fats. Probiotics help to promote the production of good bacteria in the gut. So maybe either or both of these are worth a try but I still think the natural solution is through better diet. Can I ask how old you are and what your typical diet is? And have you had an endoscopy (gastroscopy) and if so, what did they discover?

I see you also take corticosteroids. I have to take Prednisolone periodically for ulcerative colitis so I know what a powerful drug it is, necessary but with some bad side effects. It’s notorious for stimulating appetite and changing the way fat is processed and stored in the body, factors which may be contributing to your digestive problems. Steriods can trigger weight gain around the stomach area and that can cause reflux or if you already have it, make it worse.

Drugs sometimes create as many or more problems than they solve. It’s a tricky balance.

• Posted

Hi

Although you are not a doctor, you are very knowledgeable. Thank you very much for your useful information. Besides every thing you said I'd like to emphasize that stress is also one of the reasons that may cause or worsen these problems.

Regards

Reza

• Posted

Hi,

I suggest that you gradually get it off. Some of your problem may be related to the stroid that you are taking. I am talking 20mg every other day for more than 6 years. I have tried to get it off several times but I failed! My doctor says he is taking it for 13 years and it is safe.

Wish you and others health

Regards

• Posted

Thank you so much for encouraging me to stop Omeprazole.  I am sorry you were not successful. Was nausea and cramping what kept you from your goal?    With all due respect to our medical profession, I do not think they are that familiar with nutrition. If I succeed, hopefully I will have some good advice for you!  

Best regards

• Posted

Hi again

Actually I recommend you not to stop you medicine suddenly. It's better to reduce its dosage step by step. I even managed to reduce my dosage to one 20 mg every three days. But in the third day I didn't feel comfortable. My problem is a heartburn feelings in my esophagus when I stop taking PPI or reduce it to less than one 20mg every other day. Although in general all medicines have side effects, one has to consider the tradeoff between the side effects of taking a medicine and stopping it. PPIs so far seem to be rather safe even in long term.

I wish you managed getting off your medicines.

Regards

Reza

• Posted

Hi Reza,

i am am starting my step by step plan to get off of Omeprazole today.  I will not take my evening 40mg.  I will only take the evening dose every other night for a week and then taper off as my pharmacist directs.  She has helped others come off of Omeprazole at the request of their gastroenteritis.  I am hoping to manage my reflux with digestive enzymes, but we will see.  There are a lot of side effects of this medicine, particularly with high dosage and long term use.  If you pull it up online, you may be surprised.  

Thanks for for good wishes, and I send mine back to you.

Dorothy

i

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.